Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Clemens Eisserer <li...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/03 11:56:38 UTC

Suddenly server only throws ClientAbortException :-/

Hello,

One of our users is using Tomcat 4.1.29/java-1.4.2 on w2k3 server, and
he has strange problems with our webservice.
Tomcat suddenly throws at every request a ClientAbortException, like
the following:

ERROR 2006-10-30 07:21:17,736 - ClientAbortException:
java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer: socket write error
	at org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.OutputBuffer.realWriteBytes(OutputBuffer.java:404)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.buf.ByteChunk.append(ByteChunk.java:353)
	at org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.OutputBuffer.writeBytes(OutputBuffer.java:432)
	at org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.OutputBuffer.write(OutputBuffer.java:419)
	at org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteOutputStream.write(CoyoteOutputStream.java:108)
	at com.agosys.unicom.servlet.UnicomServlet.handleRequest(UnicomServlet.java:84)

The problem can only be resolved by restarting the service.

If this is a known problem - I don't care and advice my user to
upgrade, however its kind of hard if I am not sure (those are
production servers at a very large company).
Is this a known problem, is there something I could do to prevent
these failures or whats causing them?

Thank you in advance, lg Clemens

Re: Suddenly server only throws ClientAbortException :-/

Posted by Clemens Eisserer <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi again,

Could this have something todo with missing free heap space? Some
lines later in my log-file I see a OufOfMemoryException happen,
although between there have been some sucessful requests.

lg Clemens

Posted by Clemens Eisserer <li...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot for the hint Chuck,

I think I know what happened, tomcat ran out of heap so the JVM tried
to agressivly free some space and wasted some minutes. When there was
enough free space to complete the request, the connection already had
timed out.
Its just a thought but seems quite realistic when looking at the logfiles.

I'll see wether it happens again, thanks for your help and your suggestions.

Thanks, lg Clemens

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Clemens Eisserer [mailto:linuxhippy@gmail.com]
> Subject: Suddenly server only throws ClientAbortException :-/
>
> Tomcat suddenly throws at every request a ClientAbortException, like
> the following:
>
> ERROR 2006-10-30 07:21:17,736 - ClientAbortException:
> java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer: socket write error
> 	at

org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.OutputBuffer.realWriteBytes(OutputBuffer.java:
404)

On the face of it, it looks like the client simply closed its end of the
connection; could also be anything in between the client and server,
such as an IIS or httpd front end, a load balancer, a proxy, firewalls,
etc.  What does netstat show, from both the client and server sides?

If this is repeatable in any kind of predictable fashion, you could
monitor the network traffic with Ethereal or some other tool and see if
any TCP resets are coming across.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.