Posted to user@struts.apache.org by David Copeland <da...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/15 22:22:18 UTC

Struts2 Annotation Based Validation

I'm a Struts newb and am trying to get up to speed on Struts 2.

The scant documentation is throwing me a bit; I'm trying to do
everything annotation-based, and for Validation, it seems to be simply
not working at all.

Per the docs, I have tagged my action class with @Validator and tagged
my setXXX method with @RequiredFieldValidator.

My form's JSP contains <s:fielderror><s:param>XXX</s:param></s:fielderror>.

When I submit the form with no value for XXX, my execute method
executes as it would before I added the validation stuff.

I would really like to avoid XML files, but it seems that if I'm using
annotations, everything needs to be done that way.

Any ideas on where to look?

Dave

I've read: http://struts.apache.org/2.x/docs/validation-annotation.html
and some other resources, none of which are clear to me.

Re: Struts2 Annotation Based Validation

Posted by David Copeland <da...@gmail.com>.
OK, that worked, in that the validators ran and error messages were
written to the log, however my execute method still executed and
nothing happened on the UI with the error message tags.

I guess the larger question here is, if I'm trying to learn Struts, is
the best strategy to dig into Struts 1, which is presumably better
documented, and wait for Struts 2 to gain more of a foothold?

Dave

[OT] Re: Struts2 Annotation Based Validation

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
--- meisam sarabadani wrote:
> can somebody tell me why we need the struts.xml and
> build.xml or web.xml? what are their duties ?

Google can tell you.

struts.xml is the usual name for the Struts 2
configuration file. build.xml is for Apache Ant.
web.xml is for configuring your web application.

d.

Re: Struts2 Annotation Based Validation

Posted by meisam sarabadani <me...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> > interceptor (but there is no real instruction for that, either), so is
> > there some annotation way I have to do that?

> simply

> tagged

> <s:fielderror><s:param>XXX</s:param></s:fielderror>.

> using
> > >
> > > I'm not sure what that last paragraph means; you can certainly use XML
> > > validation for one action and annotations in another. I'm not sure to
> > > what extent it's possible to mix XML and annotation based validation
> in
> > > the *same* action, but there's certainly no requirement to pick one or
> > > the other for the application as a whole.
> > >
> > > It may help if you post the relevant parts of your config, JSP and
> > > action code. There are several 'moving parts' involved in making
> > > validation work, and it's hard to guess where the problem is without

Appreciated much,

Meisam Sarabadani
IBM Student Ambassador
Vice president II, IT Society
Multimedia University, Cyberjaya Capmus
"The day the Lord created hope was probably the same day he created
Spring."              Bern Williams.

Re: Struts2 Annotation Based Validation

Posted by j alex <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Copeland <da...@gmail.com>.
Here's my struts.xml

Posted by j alex <st...@gmail.com>.
Dave,

How do we use the action-alias XML approach if we've the same alias
but different methods on the same action ?

ex :

<action name="abc" class="com.mysite.myAction" />

say myAction has methodA(), methodB() etc. which are invoked using
different submit buttons in the jsp

<s:submit value="button1" method="methodA"/>
<s:submit value="button1" method="methodB"/>

In this case, we could have myAction-abc-validation.xml , but how will
it differentiate b/n methodA and methodB?

i tried myAction-methodA-validation.xml ; but it didn't seem to work.

Thanks,
Joseph

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by j alex <st...@gmail.com>.
I think annotations give you more flexibility than XML .

Posted by Laurie Harper <la...@holoweb.net>.