Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Cheryl Smith <sm...@aol.com> on 2015/01/27 00:16:52 UTC

Installing Apache Open Office

Hello,

My brother told about Apache Open Office and I am thinking about installing
it, but I have a few questions.  I tried your Forum, but it was very
confusing to me and I didn't see the question I have anyway.

I currently have Microsoft 365 installed on my computer and I pay $6.99 per
month to rent the license for this program.  I am able to view my current
documents in Word, as well as create new documents.  My main question is,
after I install Apache Open Office, does it override Microsoft 365?  In
other words, will I still be able to view my current Microsoft Word
documents, as well as create new documents in the same format, using your
program?  Is your format compatible with Microsoft Word and other Microsoft
Office programs?  Do I have to Un-install Microsoft 365 to use Apache Open
Office?

Please get back to me as soon as possible, since I am trying to avoid making
any more future payments of $6.99 to Microsoft.

Thank you,

Cheryl Smith

Re: Installing Apache Open Office

Posted by Alan B <ab...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 9:26 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org
> wrote:

> Alan,
>
> Subscribers to Office 365 that use Windows have the full Microsoft Office
> 2013 suite available for download to their

Dennis - as I understand it the download is available for two of the three
Office 365 subscriptions, the two more costly subscriptions of course. The
first row of the comparison is "Full installed Office applications..." and
the first column, "Office 365 Business Essentials" doesn't have a check in
that row.

https://products.office.com/en-us/business/compare-office-365-for-business-plans?CR_CC=200061904&WT.srch=1

computers.  See <http://products.office.com/en-us/office-365-personal>.
> Beside the big 3, Cheryl has OneNote (free anyhow), Outlook, Publisher, and
> Access.  She can save to any formats Office 2013 supports, including the
> Office 97-2000-XP .doc, .ppt, and .xls formats.  They also save and import
> the Microsoft implementation of ODF 1.2 formats .odt, .odp, and .ods (by
> conversion out of and into the Office programs.

For the desktop products, subscription options 2 & 3, the above "Save as"
formats are indeed available. I was unable to locate any reference to
indicate the online only version has the same capabilities. What I did find
were descriptions how Office 2007 and later users could use Office 2013
documents by installing compatibility packs. What I've found in Office 2013
is that it doesn't offer "Save as" to versions earlier than Office 2007 and
as far as I can tell AOO doesn't offer "Save as" to versions later than
Office 2003.

If you have a link that describes the "save as" formats available to the
online only subscriber I would appreciate having it myself for reference.

My reading is "Save as" from AOO to the latest MSO format it provides
doesn't produce output in a late enough format for MSO 2013 to consume. And
the reverse, MSO 2013 doesn't "Save as" to an early enough MSO format for
AOO to consume. MSO 2013 does provide an option to "Save as" odf however I
have yet to read anything that suggests the odf produced by MSO is a usable
implementation.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Alan,

Subscribers to Office 365 that use Windows have the full Microsoft Office 2013 suite available for download to their computers.  See <http://products.office.com/en-us/office-365-personal>.  Beside the big 3, Cheryl has OneNote (free anyhow), Outlook, Publisher, and Access.  She can save to any formats Office 2013 supports, including the Office 97-2000-XP .doc, .ppt, and .xls formats.  They also save and import the Microsoft implementation of ODF 1.2 formats .odt, .odp, and .ods (by conversion out of and into the Office programs.

Cheryl seems most concerned about Word though.

There is not 100% fidelity, as you say, and Cheryl will need to decide whether her needs are within the cases that are close enough.

I do think she should try her documents in both, while she has both, to confirm that it works for her to switch to OpenOffice.org.

 - Dennis

PS: For any follow-up, please reply to users @ openoffice.apache.org where other experts may have advice and others can learn the solutions to common problems.  The OpenOffice Forums have an extensive knowledge base at https://forum.openoffice.org/,

Posted by Alan B <ab...@gmail.com>.
On 1/26/2015 5:16 PM, Cheryl Smith wrote:

>> My brother told about Apache Open Office and I am thinking about
>> installing
>> it, but I have a few questions.  I tried your Forum, but it was very
>>
>> I currently have Microsoft 365 installed on my computer and I pay $6.99
>> per
>> month to rent the license for this program.  I am able to view my current
>> documents in Word, as well as create new documents.  My main question is,
>> after I install Apache Open Office, does it override Microsoft 365?  In

It does not override MSO 365. However while installing be mindful the
option to be "the default for ... documents" is not selected otherwise it
will seem that it has done just that.

Posted by Don Daugherty <dd...@sunflower.com>.
On 1/26/2015 5:16 PM, Cheryl Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>

> My brother told about Apache Open Office and I am thinking about installing
> it, but I have a few questions.  I tried your Forum, but it was very
> confusing to me and I didn't see the question I have anyway.
>

> I currently have Microsoft 365 installed on my computer and I pay $6.99 per
> month to rent the license for this program.  I am able to view my current
> documents in Word, as well as create new documents.  My main question is,
> after I install Apache Open Office, does it override Microsoft 365?  In
> other words, will I still be able to view my current Microsoft Word
> documents, as well as create new documents in the same format, using your
> program?  Is your format compatible with Microsoft Word and other Microsoft
> Office programs?  Do I have to Un-install Microsoft 365 to use Apache Open
> Office?
>

> Please get back to me as soon as possible, since I am trying to avoid making
> any more future payments of $6.99 to Microsoft.
>

> Thank you,
>
> Cheryl Smith

I haven't used Microsoft 365, but from what I've read elsewhere it uses
the same file formats as Microsoft Word.  If that is true, then Apache
OpenOffice should be able to open files created in Microsoft 365, i.e.
*.doc, *.xls, etc.

---

RE: Installing Apache Open Office

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Cheryl, take heart.

You can install Apache OpenOffice and use it on your computer alongside the Microsoft Office 2013 desktop applications you have as part of your Office 365 subscription.  You do not have to uninstall the Office 365 programs until you end your subscription.

I have both installed on my computer right now.

Since you already have Office installed, I don't think installing Apache OpenOffice will change any of the defaults -- what application opens when you double-click on a file's name in the Windows File Explorer or in any "recently-used documents" list will not change.

You can change which application opens automatically for any of the Microsoft Office and OpenDocument Format file types that you have among your files, and you can select a different application on an individual-case basis too.

If the application that opens for a document file becomes a problem or something confusing happens, please return to this list.  Someone can usually answer your question and also point you directly to where there is applicable information on the Forum.

Microsoft Office and Apache OpenOffice do not have 100% perfect fidelity in how product-preferred formats are handled by the other produce.  One advantage you will have with Apache OpenOffice and Microsoft Office side-by-side, for as long as you do that, is you can compare what each does with a document file in deciding the best choice for some particular document you are working on (or have received from someone else).

Working with straightforward documents, spreadsheets and presentations in Microsoft Office formats should work fine with either suite of programs.  There are some limitations in having one save in the format preferred by the other, going in either direction.

When you have more specific concerns or a problem shows up, please check back.