Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by "M. Fioretti" <mf...@nexaima.net> on 2013/05/24 13:57:17 UTC

first article on LibreOffice/OpenOffice little known features is online

Greetings,

 you may remind that a couple months ago I had asked your opinion on what
 are the least known features of the free office suites. That project was a
 bit delayed, but in case you missed it, the first article is now finally
 online at:

 http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/opensource/seven-great-features-of-openoffice-and-libre-office-that-you-probably-ignore/4372?tag=mantle_skin;content

 you're obviously very welcome to join the discussion at TechRepublic and
 to provide even more tips for future articles.

 Thanks again for your input,
 Marco Fioretti

Re: first article on LibreOffice/OpenOffice little known features is online

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.
On 24/05/2013 9:57 PM, M. Fioretti wrote:
> Greetings,
>
>   you may remind that a couple months ago I had asked your opinion on what
>   are the least known features of the free office suites. That project was a
>   bit delayed, but in case you missed it, the first article is now finally
>   online at:
>
>   http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/opensource/seven-great-features-of-openoffice-and-libre-office-that-you-probably-ignore/4372?tag=mantle_skin;content
Thanks for this article there are a few topics that I learned today.
With regard to import FrameMaker files there never was a tool to import
native FrameMaker format,
but you could save FrameMaker documents in FrameMaker Interchange Format
(MIF).
StarOffice 5.1 which I still have installed on a VM was able to import
mif documents.
Unfortunately Sun and OpenOffice have discontinued this import filter in
later versions.
It would be a great help if this is made available again either as part
of OpenOffice or as an Extension.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 24/05/2013 M. Fioretti wrote:
>   the first article is now finally  online at:
>   http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/opensource/seven-great-features-of-openoffice-and-libre-office-that-you-probably-ignore/4372?tag=mantle_skin;content

Interesting article. If you have time, you could consider helping with
the OpenOffice Release Notes!

A couple of suggested improvements:

In #2, there's a wrong link to
http://www.openoffice.org/documentation/manuals/oooauthors/MathObjects.pdf
(the final "f" is missing).

In #6, it would be better to specify that OpenOffice relies on the PDF
Import Extension for the task:
http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/pdfimport

Regards,
   Andrea.