Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2010/11/24 09:40:00 UTC

ZOOKEEPER-702

Hi, ZOOKEEPER-702 changes the way we do failure detection in
ZooKeeper, and it is an important change. I'd like to see it committed
soon (it has been sitting there for a while), but at the same time I'd
like to make sure that no one has an issue with it. If this is
interesting to you or affects you in any way, please consider having a
look at it soon.

Thanks,
-Flavio

Re: ZOOKEEPER-702

Posted by Gustavo Niemeyer <gu...@niemeyer.net>.
Hi Abmar,

> My implementation for the Phi-Accrual is based on the Cassandra's
> failure detector, which in turn is based on the ED FD, that is an
> extension of the original Phi-Accrual paper. The ED FD states that
> an exponential distribution

In the comments you said that it'd be possible to select which
distribution function to use.  Is that still the case?

> fits the ping inter-arrival sampling window better than a normal
> one. Indeed, I have done some experiments that confirms that changes
> on the Phi parameter make a greater impact on the average detection
> time when using the exponential distribution.

That's interesting.  Given that exponential distribution considers a
significantly larger portion of the data points to be under a single
standard deviation, I guess it's not too surprising it'll reduce the
detection time for failures.  The question then, obviously, is how
often will it get it wrong.

The Phi paper presents some data regarding tests they've done with
a live link.  Are you aware of any similar papers presenting the
alternative model?  I'd certainly appreciate reading about it.

> Regarding the C client, I have already opened a jira
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-848) for that. I plan to
> start working on this asap.

That's exciting news.  Thanks a lot!

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net

Re: ZOOKEEPER-702

Posted by Abmar Barros <ab...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gustavo,

My implementation for the Phi-Accrual is based on the Cassandra's failure
detector, which in turn is based on the ED FD, that is an extension of the
original Phi-Accrual paper. The ED FD states that an exponential
distribution fits the ping inter-arrival sampling window better than a

--
Abmar Barros
MSc candidate on Computer Science at Federal University of Campina Grande -

Re: ZOOKEEPER-702

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Re: ZOOKEEPER-702

Posted by Gustavo Niemeyer <gu...@niemeyer.net>.

Re: ZOOKEEPER-702

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Re: ZOOKEEPER-702

Posted by Gustavo Niemeyer <gu...@niemeyer.net>.
> As a minor comment, even though Cassandra claims to implement the Phi
> accrual failure detector, last time I looked they didn't really
> implement the algorithm which is in the paper.  If someone is going to
> implement something similar, I suggest looking at the paper rather
> than Cassandra's code.

Sorry, spoke too soon.  This comment was based on the bug description
I got via email, but there are some good comments in the page which
indicate people are already aware of this distinction.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net

Re: ZOOKEEPER-702