Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Ahmed Mohombe <am...@yahoo.com> on 2006/06/04 13:06:36 UTC

docs in wiki format?

Hi,

Now that the docs are in Wiki format, is there a way to automatically convert them
back to XDocs? At least for the Modeler documentation.

The reason is that there are already XDocs -> JavaHelp format converters, so that
integrating JavaHelp into the Modeler would be very easy.
(The most of the work is to write the documentation, but that is already done :) ).

I'm not aware however of any wiki->JavaHelp converters :(.

Thanks in advance,

Ahmed.

Re: docs in wiki format?

Posted by Cris Daniluk <cr...@gmail.com>.
Are you already using xdoc->JavaHelp, or are you just theorizing on a
way to get help into the modeler?

Unfortunately, the modeler docs are woefully incomplete (probably
something I'll focus on as my schedule clears up). So I'm not sure
what good integrating them into the modeler would actually do :)

Nonetheless, if you have something specific in mind, let's talk about
it. If you just want to hit F1 and get help in the modeler, there's
less effortful ways we could do that :)

Cris

Re: docs in wiki format?

Posted by Cris Daniluk <cr...@gmail.com>.
To sum this all up nicely, I would say that a context-sensitive help
would be entirely separate from the documentation itself. The manual
for a product is inherently different from the help for the product.

Then again, we have no help for the product, so... :) Seriously,
though, I don't think we're losing out by not having the capability to
convert to other formats anymore. Confluence can take us to PDF, HTML,
Word, XML. There's nothing prohibitive about the format, in my mind.
As for better help for the modeler... amen to that.

Cris

Re: docs in wiki format?

Posted by Ahmed Mohombe <am...@yahoo.com>.
> Are you already using xdoc->JavaHelp, or are you just theorizing on a
> way to get help into the modeler?
Of course I'm using that. I'm using DocBook in all projects (with XMLMind to edit
them very simply and fast).
In many companies DocBook it's now a standard since they're so easy
to convert to other formats, and are well suited for technical oriented pages.
For Swing applications one has this way the JavaHelp pages for free.

> Unfortunately, the modeler docs are woefully incomplete (probably
> something I'll focus on as my schedule clears up). So I'm not sure
> what good integrating them into the modeler would actually do :)
I would not say that. It's true they are not complete, but they exist,
and this can't be said about many open source projects :).

> Nonetheless, if you have something specific in mind, let's talk about
> it. If you just want to hit F1 and get help in the modeler, there's
> less effortful ways we could do that :)
No, not just F1. It should work as help usually works - context dependent
help, integrated with JavaHelp (since the modeler is a simple Swing application).

Ahmed.