Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Diwaker Gupta <di...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/06 11:08:16 UTC

[views] Skin updated

Hi everyone,

I have updated the skin as per feedback:

Check it out here:
http://resolute.ucsd.edu/diwaker/

Changes:
o now the skin uses a single color for links. the red for current link
is gone since the square brackets seem to convey the message
o link hover is indicated by underline only. the bold-ness has gone
away since that disturbed the formatting of text, distracting the
viewer
o rendering on wide screens was problematic because of too long lines.
right now the skin uses a maximum of 800 px screen space. if there's
more, it won't take it. if there's less, it will adjust :)
o site header/tagline support
o search box/button are also resized based on the size of the menu

Next on the todo list is to get the "credits" contract and the
"validation" contract, and support them.

I'll be posting the updates to JIRA sometime tomorrow. In the
meanwhile please send feedback so that I can improve it further.

Thanks,
Diwaker
--
Diwaker Gupta
http://resolute.ucsd.edu/diwaker

Re: [views] Skin updated

Posted by Brett Presnell <pr...@stat.ufl.edu>.
I'm sorry not to have said anything earlier, but since your skin is
set to become the default, I think I'd better comment.

Since you make the look "fancier" a few days ago by adding the
containing box and putting some restriction on how narrow (or wide?)
the page can be, it comes out badly formatted for me, with some of the
menus and/or text overrunning the boundaries of the box.  For example,
when viewing the the current version of your homepage, the main
horizontal navigational menu across the top runs outside the box, as
does your public key.  On this page,
<URL:http://resolute.ucsd.edu/diwaker/articles/linux-dell-8600.html>,
the lspci output, the excerpt from your XF86Config file, and other
such things overflow the box badly, and even worse than they might
otherwise because they are indented so far.

I'm sure that most of this is due to the fact that I use fairly large
font sizes (getting old), but I'm sure I'm not the only one.  There is
probably not much that can or should be done about the overflow of
literal text (e.g., your public key), but I think your original style
(no box, use maximum browser width) was probably better for presenting
this sort of material.

The menu thing seems more serious to me.  If the box is going to be
there, then I think the horizontal menu should wrap gracefully when it
doesn't fit in the box (although you probably have a better idea).

FWIW, all this is when viewing from Firefox 1.0.4 under Ubuntu Linux
running on an IBM T42 at 1400x1040.

--
Brett Presnell
Department of Statistics

"We don't think that the popularity of an error makes it the truth."
   -- Richard Stallman

Re: [views] Skin updated

Posted by Diwaker Gupta <di...@gmail.com>.
> > Changes:
> > o now the skin uses a single color for links. the red for current link
> > is gone since the square brackets seem to convey the message
>
> Looks good. But now the formerly red items are black. You might want
> to decide to either make them blue (like all other menu items) or make
> all other menu items blue for calmer appearance of the menus.

Ok. Try now and see if it looks any better. Basically menu entries are
always blue. Category headings are always black.

> My links are still very bold. See screenshot sent by pm.

Links *will* be bold. Visited links should not be bold. Earlier I was
making links bold while hovering, that was turned off.

> > o rendering on wide screens was problematic because of too long lines.
> > right now the skin uses a maximum of 800 px screen space. if there's
> > more, it won't take it. if there's less, it will adjust :)
>
> Looks better. Though there seems to be an item with the tabs at some
> sizes. Might help to just set right text margin and leave white box
> full width.
>
> See screenshot sent by pm.

You picked a very special case :) If the window is shrunk so that it
cuts a word in the middle, only in that case the problem comes. If you
shrink it a little more, the tabs will wrap around nicely :)

--
Diwaker Gupta
http://resolute.ucsd.edu/diwaker

Re: [views] Skin updated

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <sa...@soethe.net>.

Diwaker Gupta wrote:

> I have updated the skin as per feedback:

that was quick. hardly enough time to start nagging :-)

> Check it out here:
> http://resolute.ucsd.edu/diwaker/

> Changes:
> o now the skin uses a single color for links. the red for current link
> is gone since the square brackets seem to convey the message

Looks good. But now the formerly red items are black. You might want
to decide to either make them blue (like all other menu items) or make
all other menu items blue for calmer appearance of the menus.

> o link hover is indicated by underline only. the bold-ness has gone
> away since that disturbed the formatting of text, distracting the
> viewer

My links are still very bold. See screenshot sent by pm.

> o rendering on wide screens was problematic because of too long lines.
> right now the skin uses a maximum of 800 px screen space. if there's
> more, it won't take it. if there's less, it will adjust :)

Looks better. Though there seems to be an item with the tabs at some
sizes. Might help to just set right text margin and leave white box
full width.

See screenshot sent by pm.

--
Ferdinand Soethe