Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Bailey, Shane C." <SH...@saic.com> on 2003/07/23 16:09:06 UTC

Ranko like question: What is the sense of some of these tags libs ?

As Ranko asked, about the redundancy of Struts I would like to know that the
heck is the deal with SOME of these tag libs out there?

I mean, look at this: <c:if test="${index%2==0}"> and look at this: <%
if(index.intValue()%2==0){ %>

I like NOT to use Java scriptlets in my JSPs and I am pretty decent at
achieving that but

if my only resolve of using a "tag" is to have it look like CODE and not a
true tag why

have people (code maintainers and the original coder in the first place)
learn a new "language"

and just use a scriptlet?

Seeing $var like tag code that makes me think this is some sort of
conspiracy so that all the

UNIX admins, with their UNIX scripts, who needed new jobs, since WinTel is
taking over, starting

writing "tag" libraries.

I mean really, what is the deal with these so called "tags" that aren't
tags?

JavaScript was cool when it came out (and wasn't developed by Sun) because
if you knew Java then

you were about 90% there to being a great JavaScripter.

So I say Ranko, are you just as bewildered at this as I am?

:-)

Re[6]: Ranko like question: What is the sense of some of these tags libs?

Posted by Martin Naskovski <mn...@san.rr.com>.
Thursday, July 24, 2003, 12:49:44 AM, you wrote:

RB> If the reason to use a tag in this example is because it looks like it
RB> belongs, and its not actual Java code, than I'm fine with it.  I have
RB> nothing against tags.  All I'm pointing out is that if you are trying to
RB> avoid logic in your JSPs (like in the example given), you are not
RB> accomplishing it.

RB> ranko

You can not avoid logic in your view. If you do that, than for every
permutation of logic, you'd have a different view. That's just f-ing
stupid. Don't take the View stuff to that extreme, that's just wrong.
Use logic in JSP by all means. Just try to express it through JSTL,
and have your business logic elsewhere, outside of the view. Thats all
I'm saying.

RE: Re[4]: Ranko like question: What is the sense of some of these tags libs?

Posted by Martin Naskovski <mn...@san.rr.com>.

RE: Re[2]: Ranko like question: What is the sense of some of these tags libs?

Posted by Martin Naskovski <mn...@san.rr.com>.

RE: Ranko like question: What is the sense of some of these tags libs?

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.
--- "Bailey, Shane C." <SH...@saic.com> wrote:

> As Ranko asked, about the redundancy of Struts I would like to know that
> the
> heck is the deal with SOME of these tag libs out there?
>
> I mean, look at this: <c:if test="${index%2==0}"> and look at this: <%
> if(index.intValue()%2==0){ %>
>
> I like NOT to use Java scriptlets in my JSPs and I am pretty decent at
> achieving that but
>
> if my only resolve of using a "tag" is to have it look like CODE and not
> true tag why
>
> have people (code maintainers and the original coder in the first place)
> learn a new "language"
>
> and just use a scriptlet?

If you extend your example to use nested properties, maps, lists, etc you
will start to see why the <c:if> tag is easier.

> Seeing $var like tag code that makes me think this is some sort of
> conspiracy so that all the
>
> UNIX admins, with their UNIX scripts, who needed new jobs, since WinTel
> is
> taking over,

This is a rather skewed perception of reality.

David

Posted by Brian McSweeney <br...@aurium.net>.
What's really so wrong with scriptlets?

Posted by Mike Jasnowski <mj...@bea.com>.