Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Beem Rickey L (Rick) CNIN" <be...@crane.navy.mil> on 2001/09/19 22:21:47 UTC

sun/tools/javac/Main not found while running Tomcat 4 as a servic e on Windows 2000

I'm having the following problem only on Windows 2000 with Sun's JDK 1.4.
It
works with Windows NT 4.0 and Sun's JDK 1.3.1.

My JAVA_HOME and CATALINA_HOME environment variables are properly set.

While running Tomcat 4 as a service on Windows 2000 I get the following
error
when accessing any JSP page that isn't already compiled:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sun/tools/javac/Main

I believe sun.tools.javac.Main is called while the JSP page is compiled, and
is
containted in C:\jdk1.4\lib\tools.jar.

For testing, delete all the files and folders in the "Apache Tomcat
4.0\work"
directory to force a recompile of the JSP pages.

When I run Tomcat 4 from the command line with startup.bat it tells me that
C:\jdk1.4\lib\tools.jar is included in the CLASSPATH and JSP pages compile
and
work as expected.  If I start Tomcat 4 as a service it doesn't seem to be
using
the same CLASSPATH or isn't finding C:\jdk1.4\lib\tools.jar.

Re: sun/tools/javac/Main not found while running Tomcat 4 as a service on Windows 2000

Posted by asheesh <as...@q2aindia.com>.
Same problem with me, when i upgraded my tomcat 3.1 to tomcat 4.0 , and my
tomcat 3.1 stoped compiling all the new JSP pages, where as all pages work
fine with tomcat4.0

I hope some one can help us in this.

cheers
asheesh