Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Martin Grotzke <ma...@javakaffee.de> on 2007/05/14 00:00:40 UTC

Tapestry5 ready for use in a new project?

hi,

we're considering to use tapestry for a new project that
shall go into production at the end of september this year.

of course the best is to use a tested and stable framework (like
tapestry 4.1), although i want to ask if it would be worth to use
tapestry 5 for the new project.
(posts on the users mailing list like this one
http://www.mail-archive.com/users@tapestry.apache.org/msg11384.html
sound promising)

according to the roadmap (http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/)
there are several features outstanding - is this description up-to-date?
is there functionality in tapestry 4.1 that is not yet available in
tapestry 5, and is there a summary of what is still missing in t5?

what is the plan with component libs like tacos in respect to t5 (is
it still needed)?

if there's anybody out there already using tapestry 5 it would be nice
to get some feedback on the current status of t5, and what is working
and what is not.

thanx a lot in advance for your advice,
cheers,
martin

Re: Tapestry5 ready for use in a new project?

Posted by D&J Gredler <dj...@gmail.com>.
I think client persistence was just committed today by Howard.

Posted by "Eko S.W." <sw...@gmail.com>.
I Just started T5. And ... great!
>From my --newbie-- opinion : it looks like I'm not coding to HTTP
application at all
Seems like another GUI ...
CMIIW

* for the most part, I like one Java class per HTML page idea. Feels like
HTML is just complementary to The View (Java Class)
--
Best wishes,
Eko SW

Re: Tapestry5 ready for use in a new project?

Posted by Juan Maya <ma...@gmail.com>.
I have found the documentation really useful and helpful however i think
previous experience with tapestry is almost required to understand it. At
least you need to understand the basic concepts so could do an analogy
between both of them. Also it's a bit difficult to know what's new between
releases and sometimes the changes are not documented on the website :s

The learning curve i think is much less than in the other versions. At least
it was for me and my colleagues.
The mailing list as always is helpful and willing to help u. I think that's
one of the strongest point of Tapestry.

Posted by Yann Ramin <at...@stackworks.net>.
I'm working on two projects using T5 now. In my opinion its very usable,
just expect the occasional bug and rough edge at this point.

> yes, on the one hand it's really good to have existing ajax components,
> OTOH, if component creation is really simple (with adding stuff to
> the header), it's also a good option - one can use the preferred ajax
> library then (i heard jquery shall be really cool)...

There is some promising work on custom AJAX stuff, I can point out some
conversations on this list detailing how to do simple JSON requests in a
page. Could also be used for XML.

> what's the status with documentation about T5, feedback on the mailing
> list, and the learning curve?

Documentation is decent, though sometimes hard to wrap your head around
in my opinion. Learning curve really depends on how much you've used
other setups like Struts and how quick you can purge your mind relearn
:) Mailing list is a good help.

Posted by Martin Grotzke <ma...@javakaffee.de>.

--
Martin Grotzke
http://www.javakaffee.de/blog/

Re: Tapestry5 ready for use in a new project?

Posted by Juan Maya <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Grotzke <ma...@javakaffee.de>.
Hi Juan,

--
Martin Grotzke
http://www.javakaffee.de/blog/

Re: Tapestry5 ready for use in a new project?

Posted by Juan Maya <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi martin,
I have been using T5 since a few weeks and it has been great! The increased
productivity is really amazing and i haven't faced major bugs.
However i couldn't tell u anything about performance and scalability. My

Posted by Martin Grotzke <ma...@javakaffee.de>.
hello,

--
Martin Grotzke