Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Nigel Frankcom <ni...@blue-canoe.net> on 2004/12/31 02:19:52 UTC

OT - MySQL/SA/PTR records

Hi all,

Just a quick note to say, I *finally* got my SA working faster by
adding PTR records for the MySQL server.

The speed difference is astounding, on FC3 the turnaround time on a
test mail has gone from 1 minute plus down to 1 - 2 seconds.

Standard mail is running so much faster that comparing it is unfair.

Many, many thanks to James Rallo for supplying the fix.

Happy New Year to all

Nigel

Re: OT - MySQL/SA/PTR records

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 06:52:22PM -0800, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> What happens when we all go to IPv6? There seems to be some disagreement
> over how much reverse support will be deployed.

If IPv6 support was added, mkrdns (http://www.mkrdns.org/) would make the
reverse entries trivially managed. ;)

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"As I uploaded the resultant kernel, a specter of the holy penguin

Re: OT - MySQL/SA/PTR records

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.
--On Thursday, December 30, 2004 9:33 PM -0500 Matt Kettler

Re: OT - MySQL/SA/PTR records

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
At 08:19 PM 12/30/2004, Nigel Frankcom wrote:
>Just a quick note to say, I *finally* got my SA working faster by
>adding PTR records for the MySQL server.

*grin*.. never underestimate the importance of having PTR records, or hosts
file entries, for all of your machines.

A lot of services have support for access-restriction by hostname, thus
have to RNDS all incoming connections..

Other apps (mostly LAN scale apps) will just RDNS them for logging
purposes. This isn't much of a problem, since all hosts on the local lan
should always have a valid PTR unless they are bogons.

Either way, an app that has to keep timing out RDNS operations is going to
be painfully slow.

Re: OT - MySQL/SA/PTR records

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.
--On Friday, December 31, 2004 1:19 AM +0000 Nigel Frankcom
<ni...@blue-canoe.net> wrote:

> Just a quick note to say, I *finally* got my SA working faster by
> adding PTR records for the MySQL server.

What was actually checking for the PTR records? Ie. what other MySQL
clients could benefit from this? Or is this just an SA thing?