Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Bartek Teodorczyk <ba...@barteo.net> on 2008/02/05 14:54:35 UTC

Java ME

Hi,

I'd like to ask about interest in Apache community widening scope of
Harmony project to Java ME.

Let me introduce myself first. My name is Bartek Teodorczyk and I'm a
leader of MicroEmulator (http://www.microemu.org/) project, LGPL
implementation of Java ME written on top of Java SE. It provides MIDP2
and several other mobile JSR implementations. Recently we got a bit
more attention by commercial companies which would like use
MicroEmulator. During some discussions we've got conclusion that it
makes a lot of sense to migrate project to Apache license which is
more attractive for commercial companies, especially in mobile
software world. I truly believe that may also help evolve the project
significantly. We also seriously consider donating the project to the
Apache Foundation.

And go back to the question. I'd be grateful to get some feedback from
Harmony community whether it would be a room for MicroEmulator inside
Harmony project or we should rather start looking into Incubator
procedure?

Best Regards,
Bartek Teodorczyk

Re: Java ME

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello,
It is really interesting to hear about MicroEmulator project.

> If the microemu code is large, with a
> significant number of people who are new to Apache, etc. then going
> through the incubator (perhaps with a Harmony mentor) will be a good
> experience for learning the Apache way of doing things, and migrating
> the project.

According to a subversion most of the MicroEmulator code is
copyrighted by Bartek and Vlad.
http://microemulator.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/microemulator/trunk/microemulator/

Thanks.

--