Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Leonardo Pinho <le...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/14 17:18:42 UTC

Redeploy issues loading contents from some .jar at WEB-INF/lib

Hi,

I'm getting some errors when I do redeploy of a spring application at
Tomcat. This web app loads some content from a jar file (at
WEB-INF/lib/common.jar):

Offending resource: ServletContext resource
[/WEB-INF/applicationContext.xml]; nested exception is
org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanDefinitionStoreException: Unexpected
exception parsing XML document from ServletContext resource
[/WEB-INF/spring/commonContext.xml]; nested exception is
java.lang.InternalError: jzentry == 0,
 jzfile = 1607179080,
 total = 152,
 name =
/usr/local/apache-tomcat-5.5.20/work/Catalina/localhost/DepositEngineTRANS/WEB-INF/lib/common.jar,
 i = 15,
 message = invalid LOC header (bad signature)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.parsing.FailFastProblemReporter.error(FailFastProblemReporter
Caused by: java.lang.InternalError: jzentry == 0,
 jzfile = 1607179080,
 total = 152,
 name =
/usr/local/apache-tomcat-5.5.20/work/Catalina/localhost/DepositEngineTRANS/WEB-INF/lib/common.jar,
 i = 15,
 message = invalid LOC header (bad signature)
        at java.util.zip.ZipFile$3.nextElement(ZipFile.java:429)

After stop/start Tomcat:

- If I just redeploy, without update the WAR, it works!

- If I update the WAR (some servlet code p.ex.) without update common.jar
(keep the same jar) and redeploy, it works!

- If I update the WAR and update common.jar (different version of the jar)
and redeploy, it does NOT work!

I'm using Tomcat 5.5.20 on Red Hat Linux...

Thanks,
Leonardo

Re: Redeploy issues loading contents from some .jar at WEB-INF/lib

Posted by Leonardo Pinho <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

>> I thought you said that the redeploy only works if you do /not/ update
>> the JAR file inside the WAR. Did I misread?

>> If you redeploy the WAR file with an /updated/ JAR file, the auto-deploy
>> fails (this was your original complaint). If you simply restart Tomcat
>> at that point (without going back to the original WAR file), does Tomcat
>> start correctly?

You understood correctly. What I wanna mean is that after update the jar
inside the war, instead of try to redeploy the war (which does not work) if
i just restart tomcat it works... so probably the jar is not corrupted as it
is the same jar.

>> Okay. Is the target machine remote, or are you deploying locally?

I'm deploying remote using FTP to transfer the WAR file generated. The
tomcat autoDeploy is off so I access the Tomcat Manager and to the "Reload"
manuallty.

Thanks again,
Leonardo

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Redeploy issues loading contents from some .jar at WEB-INF/lib

Posted by Leonardo Pinho <le...@gmail.com>.
>> Is it possible that your new version of common.jar is corrupted?
>> Possibly by using ASCII FTP transfer instead of BINARY or something like
>> that?

I guess not because the jar is inside of the WAR and, besides that, as I
said if I just restart Tomcat it works (using the same WAR and JAR file).
So, I'm sure that is not related to corrupted data.

>> How are you updating the WAR before re-deploying it (i.e. using ant
>> <war> task, using jar on the command-line yourself, through an IDE,
>> etc.)?

I'm using ant tasks: <war> and <jar>...

Thanks for helping,

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: Redeploy issues loading contents from some .jar at WEB-INF/lib

Posted by Leonardo Pinho <le...@gmail.com>.
>> This message indicates that the ZIP (jar) file is corrupted, or at least
>> the ZIP library thinks it is.  There are two ways of accessing a ZIP
>> file: sequentially, starting at the beginning, or randomly using the TOC
>> at the end of the file.  This message only occurs when using the TOC.  I
>> don't know if access is different on initial deployment vs.
>> redeployment.

>> One typical cause of corruption is doing an ASCII FTP transfer (rather
>> than binary) from a Windows box.

The jar is inside of the WAR and, besides that, as I said if I just restart
Tomcat it works (using the same WAR and JAR file). So, I'm sure that is not
related to corrupted data.

>> What JVM version are you using?  There were some fixes that went into
>> this area some time ago in 1.5; is your JRE/JDK up to date?

I'm using jdk1.5.0_10 (update 10)

>> Does the problem occur if you set unpackWAR to true?  It appears that
>> you have it disabled for particular this webapp.

I'm using unpackWAR=false, the webapp is unpacked at work directory but I'll
try using unpackWAR=true...

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Leonardo Pinho [mailto:leonardo.pinho@gmail.com]
> Subject: Redeploy issues loading contents from some .jar at
> WEB-INF/lib
>
> I'm getting some errors when I do redeploy of a spring
> application at Tomcat. This web app loads some content
> from a jar file (at WEB-INF/lib/common.jar):
>
> java.lang.InternalError: jzentry == 0,
>  jzfile = 1607179080,
>  total = 152,
>  name =

/usr/local/apache-tomcat-5.5.20/work/Catalina/localhost/DepositEngineTRA
NS/WEB-INF/lib/common.jar,
>  i = 15,
>  message = invalid LOC header (bad signature)

This message indicates that the ZIP (jar) file is corrupted, or at least
the ZIP library thinks it is.  There are two ways of accessing a ZIP
file: sequentially, starting at the beginning, or randomly using the TOC
at the end of the file.  This message only occurs when using the TOC.  I
don't know if access is different on initial deployment vs.
redeployment.

One typical cause of corruption is doing an ASCII FTP transfer (rather
than binary) from a Windows box.

> I'm using Tomcat 5.5.20 on Red Hat Linux...

What JVM version are you using?  There were some fixes that went into
this area some time ago in 1.5; is your JRE/JDK up to date?

Does the problem occur if you set unpackWAR to true?  It appears that
you have it disabled for particular this webapp.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: Redeploy issues loading contents from some .jar at WEB-INF/lib

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
Now Tomcat is also a cool pojo application server
Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.

Posted by Leonardo Pinho <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Leonardo Pinho <le...@gmail.com>.
I found other post with the same error and no solution:

http://www.nabble.com/war-redeployment-problem-tf55365.html#a148508

Thanks,
Leonardo