Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Dale Erwin <da...@casaerwin.org> on 2012/09/01 03:02:25 UTC

Re: Rewrite AOO in JAVA

Seems to me that with a code base as large as that of AOO, an
interpreted language would make it even slower than it is, and it's no
speed demon now.  I know Java is not a slow as other interpreted
languages, but still...

Dale Erwin
Av. 28 de Julio 657, Dpto. 03
Magdalena del Mar, Lima 17, PERU

http://leather.casaerwin.org
http://neapolitan.casaerwin.org

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======

Re: Rewrite AOO in JAVA

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 10:02 PM, Dale Erwin <da...@casaerwin.org> wrote:
>  I know Java is not a slow as other interpreted languages, but still...

Several misconceptions.

1. Java is not "an interpreted language". Java bytecode is compiled to
native code on the fly by the JIT. Heard of the JIT?

"JIT builds upon two earlier ideas in run-time environments: bytecode
compilation and dynamic compilation. It converts code at runtime prior
to executing it natively, for example bytecode into native machine
code.

Several modern runtime environments, such as Microsoft's .NET
Framework and most implementations of Java, rely on JIT compilation
for high-speed code execution."

2. Java is not only a programing language. It´s actually 3 things: .A
programming language :), a virtual machine, and a level playing field
software ecosystem.

In fact you can write Java apps without writing a single line of Java
(programming language) code, thanks to several alternative JVM
languages... from Python to Ruby to Rexx (www.netrexx.org) or even
Basic if you want (via Jabaco - Basic to Java bytecode compiler)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_JVM_languages

You might also want to read

Java theory and practice: performance urban legends, revisited
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-jtp09275/index.html

But having said all of the above, I humbly suggest we ignore the OP as
he seems to be a time-wasting troll. He repeated his "request", we had
this argument before, and there he comes again to "propose" exactly
the same thing as he had never done it before...

Sheesh kebab
FC

- George Orwell