Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "michael.boom" <my...@yahoo.com> on 2013/11/04 11:01:11 UTC

SolrCloud different machine sizes

I've setup my SolrCloud using AWS and i'm currently using 2 average machines.
I'm planning to ad one more bigger machine (by bigger i mean double the
RAM).

If they all work in a cluster and the search being distributed, will the
smaller machines limit the performance the bigger machine could offer? (they
have less memory, so less cache, thus more disk reads on that machines ==>
bigger query times) ?
Thanks!

-----
Thanks,
Michael

Re: SolrCloud different machine sizes

Posted by "michael.boom" <my...@yahoo.com>.
Thank you, Erick!

-----

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
"It Depends"(tm). As long as you're getting adequate
throughput on the smaller machines, adding bigger
machines won't make it any _slower_. But sometime
as you add documents, the smaller machines will start
having memory issues etc. and you will see an impact.

Fortunately, the migrating path to larger machines is
pretty painless.
1> bring up at least one larger machine for each shard
2> wait for them to synch up and start serving queries
3> shut off the smaller machines.
FWIW,
Erick