Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Walter Botman <Wa...@comsys.nl> on 2006/04/04 10:14:22 UTC

tomcat one more then one CPU

Hello,

Can we configure tomcat in a way that it uses more then one CPU?
It seems to use only one CPU ?

We are using the following:
- Sun Fire v240 (with 2 CPU's)
- Solaris 8 (including patches)
- tomcat 5.5.7
- Java 1.5.0

Thanks

Walter

Re: tomcat one more then one CPU

Posted by David Rees <dr...@gmail.com>.
On 4/4/06, Walter Botman <Wa...@comsys.nl> wrote:
> Can we configure tomcat in a way that it uses more then one CPU?
> It seems to use only one CPU ?
>
> We are using the following:
> - Sun Fire v240 (with 2 CPU's)
> - Solaris 8 (including patches)
> - tomcat 5.5.7
> - Java 1.5.0

There isn't anything special that needs to be done with Tomcat to use
more than one CPU, it's a function of the JVM and threading. The Sun
JVM should use as many CPUs as are available, but keep in mind that
each thread the JVM spawns can only use one CPU at a time.

Since Tomcat is multithreaded, each request goes to a thread and will use a CPU.

I'm not familiar with running Java on Sun, but I would recommend that
you make sure you're running the latest version and check for any OS
specific JVM settings which may influence threading.

-Dave