Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Wilfredo Sanchez <ws...@apple.com> on 1999/01/18 22:54:25 UTC

Hosting case-sensitive httpd on case-insensitive filesystem

  What sorts of problems should I expect to run into if I run a
case-sensitive (Unix) httpd on a case-insensitive (HFS+) filesystem?
I be looking at the code in a minute, but I'm wondering if people
who've dealt with it might offer some insight.

  I've been talking to the kernel guys about detecting per-directory
what filesystem is underneath and they say no problem, but I doubt the
answer will be very portable, though it would possibly be portable to
other BSD's or easy to add to other BSD's. When I have something that
works, I'm bring it up again so we can figure out what the right thing
to do is.

  In the meantime, we compile with the assumption of having the docroot
on UFS, but people want to be able to move the docroot to an HFS+ volume
and that makes me nervous. Should it?

	-Fred

Re: Hosting case-sensitive httpd on case-insensitive filesystem

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@jrc.it>.

Wilfredo Sanchez wrote:

>   What sorts of problems should I expect to run into if I run a
> case-sensitive (Unix) httpd on a case-insensitive (HFS+) filesystem?
> I be looking at the code in a minute, but I'm wondering if people
> who've dealt with it might offer some insight.
>
>   I've been talking to the kernel guys about detecting per-directory
> what filesystem is underneath and they say no problem, but I doubt the
> answer will be very portable, though it would possibly be portable to
> other BSD's or easy to add to other BSD's. When I have something that
> works, I'm bring it up again so we can figure out what the right thing
> to do is.
>
>   In the meantime, we compile with the assumption of having the docroot
> on UFS, but people want to be able to move the docroot to an HFS+ volume
> and that makes me nervous. Should it?

Id' say that you could 'avoid' making it OS specific; (and in fact it
would be usefull say on a BSD machine with a dos/fat16/fat32 partition.

You'd be looking at a 'comapre case(in)sensitive flag' on a per directory
basis (which would also cover the <File thing), but stay well away of the
URI matching.

Dw