Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ac...@saysit.com on 2003/08/05 07:43:18 UTC

OFF TOPIC: OpenSSL httpd.conf and Netscape...

Such silence... :
For those interested, the vhosts work fine on one IP, as described
earlier, and after downloading and patching Netscape 6.2, it is working
the way it should. So now, with the afore-mentioned setup in httpd.conf,
I have three browsers working :
*  MSIE5
(just fine...)
*  Netscape 6.2 (works fine after patching it, costing about 2 days of
effort so far)
*  Mozilla (just fine...)
Apache2 talks with Tomcat servlets, access Oracle and deliver the data
back to the applets, displayed on the browsers.

Netscape 7.1 -DOES NOT WORK - BUM!
Here's what happened :
** connect to home page http://my.first.com
** from home page, I click on a secure link, which takes me to my ugly
splash screen
and https://my.secure.dom
** click to continue and certificate presents itself, then sign in
** normally Netscape's little lock (bottom right) is closed by now, but
not in 7.1
** continue locking in and getting the data from database via Tomcat
** Netscape 7.1 says no certificate and transmission is in clear text
for all to read, yet from my end I have the transmission all encrypted.
MSIE5, Mozilla, and now even Netscape6.2 shows that the tranmission is
encrypted.
** But Netscape 7.1 disagrees with Netscape 6.2, MSIE5 and Mozilla
and if Netscape 7.1 is genuine, than it has broken OpenSSL and mod_ssl.
Hmmm..