Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Tim Liu <ti...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/03 21:52:23 UTC

SVN 1.4 Evaluation

Folks,

We are evaluating SVN 1.4 for our commercial product's version control
system. We have read similar topics online and also in this mailling list.
We'd like to get people's suggestion on our case. Can somebody share
experience? Appreciate it a lot.

We have ~100 developers over 4 sites gloably.  Very intensive development.

In our evaluation, we are pretty happy from developer usage point of view
except mssing merge tracking feature and slow revision graph(TortoiseSVN).
We are little worried about from administratove point of view: we are new on
SVN, should we buy commercial support?

thx a lot

Tim

Re: SVN 1.4 Evaluation

Posted by Mark <ma...@mitsein.net>.
Well, sounds like you are developing on Windows - you need commercial
support ;)  Sorry, I'm a *nix snob.

Just so I understand, you are wanting subversion to develop your
product, or to embed in it?  Your first line is ambiguous.  My
multi-national company is using subversion to develop commercial
products sold around the world.  Granted, we also use CVS, ClearCase,
and who knows what else for various things, but subversion is in there
and growing.

As for TortoiseSVN rev graphing feature being slow, try another
client.  I don't use TortoiseSVN so I'm not exactly sure what that
does for you.  When I use a GUI svn client, I use SmartSVN.  I'm sure
there is something out there to help you.