Posted to test-dev@perl.apache.org by Jim Martinez <jj...@bigbigorg.org> on 2005/06/24 18:45:45 UTC

YAPC Apache-Test lightning talk

Hi,

I'll give a 5 minute Lightning Talks at YAPC next week (I'm already in
Toronto, yea).

I submitted the talk using this...

Topic        Apache::Test and hangman
Description  Show how Apache::Test is useful to refactor hangman

I was thinking I'd use Apache-Test to show how to refactor a cgi hangman
game, aiming the talk at the type of people who would not attend, say,
Geoffrey Young's "Writing Tests with Apache-Test" YAPC talk.  People who
might not know anything about Apache-Test.

5 minutes isn't a lot of time.  Instead maybe I could just give a 5 minute
Apache-Test info-mercial type of talk.

Here's my current outline, please feel free to comment on it:

* Intro - Apache Test is a way to test web applications in an automated
way.

* Suppose you need to add a feature to this hangman game, maybe something
that requires lots of code movement, like an email interface.  Without
Apache-Test you'd make a few changes, move a bit of code, then click the
web app to see that the web app still works.

* Show how Apache-Test can be used to test many more test cases.

Each point above is expected to take between 60 and 90 seconds of the 5
minutes.

http://yapc.org/America/schedule-2005/summary.html#62

Jim

Re: YAPC Apache-Test lightning talk

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Jim Martinez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'll give a 5 minute Lightning Talks at YAPC next week (I'm already in
> Toronto, yea).
>
> I submitted the talk using this...
>
> Topic        Apache::Test and hangman
> Description  Show how Apache::Test is useful to refactor hangman

that's interesting for a 5 minute slot.  good luck with that :)

> I was thinking I'd use Apache-Test to show how to refactor a cgi hangman
> game, aiming the talk at the type of people who would not attend, say,
> Geoffrey Young's "Writing Tests with Apache-Test" YAPC talk.  People who
> might not know anything about Apache-Test.

who wouldn't attend my talk?

;)

> 5 minutes isn't a lot of time.  Instead maybe I could just give a 5 minute
> Apache-Test info-mercial type of talk.

sounds like a much better idea.

> Here's my current outline, please feel free to comment on it:
>
> * Intro - Apache Test is a way to test web applications in an automated
> way.

my "intro" path has been more "A-T takes care of the Apache-part for testing
web applications so you can focus on your tests" lately.  really, for the
"testing" part it merely offers some syntactic sugar, such as a GET method
that automagically intuits the host and port.  all the rest can be Test.pm
function, Apache::Test function, Test::More functions, WWW::Mech functions, etc.

but what you want to say is really up to you, so ymmv.  a lightning talk
will come off much better if you are comfortable with what you're saying and
can click through some slides or a demo with the confidence of someone doing
this kind of thing every day.  so, "hey A-T rocks but everyone thinks it's
so difficult to use and it's not.  here's what I do every day" might work
better than some contrieved hangman example that you need to work up and
stumble through in 5 minutes.

but here I am rambling about me and what I'd do, when really this is about
you and what gets you excited enough about A-T to want to talk about it.
focus on that and you'll do fine :)

--Geoff