Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Dave <wb...@comcast.net> on 2005/06/25 01:02:54 UTC

NullWriter still need HELP

I found the NullWriterClass in spi/throwable so why do I get this error when
I hit this logger statement?
or is this telling me that I have a null element where the throwable event
is suposed to be?
Never had this problem in 1.2.9 whats changed?

Any help is appreciated
Dave

e = throwable
logger.warn(" some string", e)

I get the following log4j output

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/spi/NullWriter at
org.apache.log4j.spi.ThrowableInformation.<init>(ThrowableInformation.java:49)
        at org.apache.log4j.spi.LoggingEvent.<init>(LoggingEvent.java:238)
        at org.apache.log4j.Category.forcedLog(Category.java:588)
        at org.apache.log4j.Category.log(Category.java:1169)
        at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger.warn(Log4JLogger.java:171

Re: NullWriter still need HELP

Posted by Dave <wb...@comcast.net>.
This doesn't seem like a problem with conflicting versions as I removed the
reference to 1.2.9 from the build path.

Not sure why 1.2.9 and 1.3.0alpha6 respond differently when a
logger.warn("somestring", throwable) is executed?

Re: NullWriter still need HELP

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
What version of Log4j are you using now?  You spoke about 1.2.9 in the past
tense and 1.2.11 only just came out.  I'm guessing you are using
1.3alpha?  Seems like a classloader issue where two different versions of
Log4j are being seen by two different classloaders.  Check that you only
have one version of Log4j in your classpath.

Jake