Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Karl Helmer <he...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> on 2018/01/05 20:00:11 UTC

1.7.1 Install issue

Hi Everyone,

  I'm having an issue trying to install 1.7.1 on a CentOS 6.9 server.
I've done this successfully on other servers running the same OS.  I've
installed  the recommended packages and get "Time to relax" after
running configure. The make and make install step doesn't throw any
errors either.  But when I start CouchDB using:
$sudo -u couchdb /usr/local/bin/couchdb
it returns

CRASH REPORT==== 5-Jan-2018::13:02:05 ===
  crasher:
    initial call: application_master:init/4
    pid: <0.55.0>
    registered_name: []
    exception exit: {{app_would_not_start,ssl},
                     {couch_app,start,
                                [normal,
                                 ["/usr/local/etc/couchdb/default.ini",
                                  "/usr/local/etc/couchdb/local.ini"]]}}
      in function  application_master:init/4 (application_master.erl, line
134)
    ancestors: [<0.54.0>]
    messages: [{'EXIT',<0.56.0>,normal}]
    links: [<0.54.0>,<0.31.0>]
    dictionary: []
    trap_exit: true
    status: running
    heap_size: 610
    stack_size: 27
    reductions: 132
  neighbours:

=INFO REPORT==== 5-Jan-2018::13:02:05 ===
    application: couch
    exited: {{app_would_not_start,ssl},
             {couch_app,start,
                        [normal,
                         ["/usr/local/etc/couchdb/default.ini",
                          "/usr/local/etc/couchdb/local.ini"]]}}
    type: temporary

Is this a problem related to ssl connection?  I've checked the user:group
of the files mentioned and they're all couchdb:couchdb and have changed
the ownership of the directories as per the instructions. I'm not sure
what this is telling me and any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Karl
--
Karl Helmer, PhD
Athinoula A Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging

dispose of the e-mail.

Re: 1.7.1 Install issue

Posted by Karl Helmer <he...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>.
Thanks Dave, you're right it's my erlang install.  It looks as though
there was an initial, possibly partial, install of erlang R14B-04.3 that
is
colliding with my attempt to put on R19.3.6-1 (which I have running
successfully on other servers). I've tried to start over using yum remove,
but it says that it can't find erlang:

$sudo yum remove 'erlang-*'

Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, security
Setting up Remove Process
No Match for argument: erlang-*
 * base: mirror.sigmanet.com
 * epel: mirror.steadfast.net
 * extras: centos.s.uw.edu
 * updates: mirrors.lga7.us.voxel.net
Package(s) erlang-* available, but not installed.
No Packages marked for removal

But somehow it seems to think that 19.3.6 is already installed:

$sudo yum localinstall esl-erlang_19.3.6-1~centos~6_amd64.rpm
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, security
Setting up Local Package Process
Examining esl-erlang_19.3.6-1~centos~6_amd64.rpm: esl-erlang-19.3.6-1.x86_64
esl-erlang_19.3.6-1~centos~6_amd64.rpm: does not update installed package.
Nothing to do

Why this is odd is that when I do:
$erl --version
-bash: /usr/bin/erl: No such file or directory

I expected this since I then tried a manual removal (yum remove said it
couldn't find anything) of erlang by deleting:

/usr/local/lib/erlang (for 19.x)
/usr/lib/erlang
/usr/lib64/erlang
usr/share/java/erlang
and the links in /usr/bin/:
epmd, erl, erlc, escript, run_erl, run_test, to-erl

I also removed the various erlang rpm’s in the directory:
/var/cache/yum/x86_64/6/epel/packages

The only erlang files left are the ones in the couchdb installation and
/usr/share/augeas/lenses/dist/erlang.aug
/usr/share/autoconf/autoconf/erlang.m4
/usr/share/mime/text/x-erlang.xml
/usr/share/vim/vim74/syntax/erlang.vim
/usr/share/vim/vim74/ftplugin/erlang.vim
/usr/share/vim/vim74/compiler/erlang.vim
/usr/share/vim/vim74/indent/erlang.vim

Same problem persists - yum still thinks that R19 is installed. Should I
delete any of the above files? Any other ideas are welcome.

thanks,
Karl

> On Fri, 5 Jan 2018, at 21:00, Karl Helmer wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>   I'm having an issue trying to install 1.7.1 on a CentOS 6.9 server.
>> I've done this successfully on other servers running the same OS.  I've
installed  the recommended packages and get "Time to relax" after
running configure. The make and make install step doesn't throw any

>> CRASH REPORT==== 5-Jan-2018::13:02:05 ===
>>   crasher:
>>     initial call: application_master:init/4
>>     pid: <0.55.0>
>>     registered_name: []
>>     exception exit: {{app_would_not_start,ssl},
>
> Hi Karl,
>
> This suggests asn1 or crypto modules are perhaps not installed.
>
> $ erl
> Erlang/OTP 20 [erts-9.2] [source] [64-bit] [smp:32:32] [ds:32:32:10]
[async-threads:10] [hipe] [kernel-poll:true] [dtrace]

Re: 1.7.1 Install issue

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@skunkwerks.at>.