Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Kevin Conaway <ke...@gmail.com> on 2016/05/01 14:17:01 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Would like to make collective intelligence about Metrics on Storm

One thing I would like to see added (if not already present) is the ability
to register metrics that are not tied to a component.

As of now, the only non-component metrics are reported by the SystemBolt
pseudo-component which feels like a work-around.  It reports JVM level
metrics like GC time, heap size and other things that aren't associated
with a given component.

It would be great if application developers could expose similar metrics
like this for things like connection pools and other JVM wide objects that
aren't unique to a specific component.

I don't think this is possible now, is it?

--
Kevin Conaway
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/kevin-conaway/7/107/580/

Re: [DISCUSS] Would like to make collective intelligence about Metrics on Storm

Posted by Jungtaek Lim <ka...@gmail.com>.
Harsha,

Yes sure, I applied regex for filtering by metric name. Please refer
relevant unit test
<https://github.com/HeartSaVioR/storm/blob/STORM-1700/storm-core/test/jvm/org/apache/storm/metric/filter/FilterByMetricNameTest.java>
from pull request <https://github.com/apache/storm/pull/1324>.
I'm curious other features (component name, host, etc) could also be useful
for filtering. If we think they're useful, it could be easy to add, too. Also
option could be expanded to take a list of filter configurations, finally
making the filter list.

Just would like to see the opinions whether it's better to keep it simple,
or give full flexibilities.

Thanks,
Jungtaek Lim (HeartSaVioR)

2016년 5월 3일 (화) 오후 2:47, Harsha <st...@harsha.io>님이 작성:

Posted by Harsha <st...@harsha.io>.
Jungtaek,
I think filters that can support a regex gives more felxibility.
Thanks,
Harsha

On Mon, May 2, 2016, at 07:48 PM, Jungtaek Lim wrote:
> Kevin,
>
> For specific task, you can register your own metrics which resides
> per task.
> But metrics doc on Storm is not kind enough to let users follow, so I
> addressed this and submitted pull request.
> https://github.com/HeartSaVioR/storm/blob/STORM-1724-1.x/docs/Metrics.md
>
> There're no custom worker metrics for users since Storm abstracts
> user's logic into 'task' so normally users don't need to measure JVM
> level metrics (except JMX metrics). But it would be possible to add if
> it's really great.
>
> Does current Storm work for you now? Or we would like to address /
> improve something?
>
> Stephen and Harsha,
>
> Improve MetricsConsumer is an umbrella issue, and it contains the
> feature 'blacklist & whitelist of metrics[1]'.
> For now it filters metrics by only metrics name, but adding filter
> targets to component name, host, etc. are easy so I would like to see
> the needs before making the change.
> Do you think adding filter targets makes sense? Or we can just start
> with metrics name filter?
>
> Thanks,
> Jungtaek Lim (HeartSaVioR)
>

> 2016년 5월 3일 (화) 오전 2:18, Harsha <st...@harsha.io>님이 작성:
>> __
>> Jungtaek,
>> Probably a filter config to whitelist and blacklist certain metrics.
>> So that it will scale if there are too many workers and users can
>> turn off certain metrics.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Harsha
>>

>> On Mon, May 2, 2016, at 06:19 AM, Stephen Powis wrote:
>>> Oooh I'd love this as well!  I really dig the ease of the metric
>>> framework in storm and have all the metrics go thru one centralized
>>> config.  But as the number of storm hosts and number of tasks grow,
>>> I've found that Graphite/Grafana has a hard time collecting up all
>>> the relevant metrics across a lot of wildcarded keys for things like
>>> hostnames and taskIds to properly display my graphs.

Links:

  1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STORM-1700
  2. http://storm.apache.org/releases/1.0.0/Metrics.html
  3. https://github.com/verisign/storm-graphite
  4. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STORM-1699
  5. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STORM-1719

Re: [DISCUSS] Would like to make collective intelligence about Metrics on Storm

Posted by Jungtaek Lim <ka...@gmail.com>.
Kevin,

It makes sense but I can't imagine beautiful way to address that case.

If we change the view from task to worker, IMO worker level metrics
shouldn't look up task level objects, cause it's beyond the layer, and
worker doesn't even know what instances have what fields.

If there's a way to access worker level instance without any references on
tasks, there's other way to collect that metrics, using SystemBolt.
SystemBolt also registers Storm options 'worker.metrics' (for applying
whole workers in cluster) and 'topology.worker.metrics' (for applying whole
workers in this topology) which are map of pair (metrics name, metric
class). Since they will be instantiated and registered dynamically in
SystemBolt.prepare() and users can't access instances directly, it should
be kind of gauge.
(Metrics doc doesn't describe this feature and I also missed it. I'll add
this to STORM-1724 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STORM-1724>, too.)

But that case you want to address is different from this, worker level
instance shared across multiple tasks and it should be accessed from the
task. In this case, I can't think nicer way for now and we still rely on
metrics per task.
Do you have some ideas or thought?

Thanks,
Jungtaek Lim (HeartSaVioR)

2016년 5월 4일 (수) 오후 9:23, Kevin Conaway <ke...@gmail.com>님이 작성:

Posted by Kevin Conaway <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jungtaek Lim <ka...@gmail.com>.
Kevin,

Posted by Harsha <st...@harsha.io>.
Jungtaek,

  1. http://storm.apache.org/releases/1.0.0/Metrics.html
  2. https://github.com/verisign/storm-graphite
  3. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STORM-1699
  4. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STORM-1719

Re: [DISCUSS] Would like to make collective intelligence about Metrics on Storm

Posted by Stephen Powis <sp...@salesforce.com>.