Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/27 11:01:37 UTC

[VOTE] release maven-bundle-plugin 2.0.0

Hi folks,

I'd like to start a vote for the 2.0.0 release of the maven-bundle-plugin.
This release primarily contains a major update of the Bnd tool, which
now requires you to build with a Java5 JDK. It also contains a number
of improvements requested by the community to improve usability.

[ note you can still compile for earlier JVMs by using the appropriate
  source and target levels in the maven-compiler-plugin configuration ]

Release 2.0.0 of the maven-bundle-plugin fixes the following issues:

 FELIX-807,FELIX-782,FELIX-660,FELIX-549,FELIX-546,FELIX-545,
FELIX-831,FELIX-677
         All fixed by updating to use the latest version of the Bnd
Tool (0.0.311)

 FELIX-941: store the generated default symbolicname in
$(maven-symbolicname) property
 FELIX-912: set default Export-Package based on local source files
 FELIX-684: support filters in excludeDependencies, such as *;scope=runtime
 FELIX-806: pickup <archive> settings and enable support of
addMavenDescriptor setting
 FELIX-850: local fix for MSHARED-86 (should use isFile instead of exists)
 FELIX-899: widen dependency resolution and pass everything except
test dependencies onto BND
 FELIX-760: commit latest bindex code (based on r95 from the OSGi
subversion repository)
 FELIX-699: set analyzer base before loading properties in manifest goal
         [ plus additional debug to help with problem determination ]

I've built and signed the release candidate and made it available here:

   http://people.apache.org/~mcculls/releases/felix/maven-bundle-plugin/2.0.0/org/apache/felix/maven-bundle-plugin/2.0.0/

You can also find the KEYS for verifying the signature in this directory.
To use the staging area as a plugin repository, add this to your POM:

  <pluginRepositories>
    <pluginRepository>
      <id>bundleplugin.staging</id>
      <url>http://people.apache.org/~mcculls/releases/felix/maven-bundle-plugin/2.0.0</url>
    </pluginRepository>
  </pluginRepositories>

Please check this release and cast your votes - the vote will be open
until Wednesday 4th March to give people time to test the new plugin
(and also because I'm starting this vote on a Friday).

  [ ] +1 Yes, release it now
  [ ] -1 No, don't release now (please provide specific comments)

--
Cheers, Stuart

Re: [VOTE] release maven-bundle-plugin 2.0.0

Posted by Toni Menzel <to...@okidokiteam.com>.
+1 non binding vote

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Alin Dreghiciu <ad...@gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
> </url>
> >    </pluginRepository>
> >  </pluginRepositories>
> >
> > Please check this release and cast your votes - the vote will be open
> > until Wednesday 4th March to give people time to test the new plugin
> > (and also because I'm starting this vote on a Friday).
> >
> >  [ ] +1 Yes, release it now
> >  [ ] -1 No, don't release now (please provide specific comments)
> >
> > --
> > Cheers, Stuart

> Alin Dreghiciu
> http://www.ops4j.org - New Energy for OSS Communities - Open
> Participation Software.
> http://www.qi4j.org - New Energy for Java - Domain Driven Development.
> http://www.codedragons.com - New Energy for Projects - Great People
> working on Great Projects at Great Places

Toni Menzel
Software Developer
toni@okidokiteam.com
Participation Software.

Re: [VOTE] release maven-bundle-plugin 2.0.0

Posted by Alin Dreghiciu <ad...@gmail.com>.
+1 (not binding)

Posted by Alin Dreghiciu <ad...@gmail.com>.
+1 (not binding)

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.
2009/2/27 Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>

> Hi folks,
>
> I'd like to start a vote for the 2.0.0 release of the maven-bundle-plugin.
> This release primarily contains a major update of the Bnd tool, which
> now requires you to build with a Java5 JDK. It also contains a number
> of improvements requested by the community to improve usability.
>
> [ note you can still compile for earlier JVMs by using the appropriate
>  source and target levels in the maven-compiler-plugin configuration ]
>
> Release 2.0.0 of the maven-bundle-plugin fixes the following issues:
>
>  FELIX-807,FELIX-782,FELIX-660,FELIX-549,FELIX-546,FELIX-545,
> FELIX-831,FELIX-677
>         All fixed by updating to use the latest version of the Bnd
> Tool (0.0.311)
>
>  FELIX-941: store the generated default symbolicname in
> $(maven-symbolicname) property
>  FELIX-912: set default Export-Package based on local source files
>  FELIX-684: support filters in excludeDependencies, such as *;scope=runtime
>  FELIX-806: pickup <archive> settings and enable support of
> addMavenDescriptor setting
>  FELIX-850: local fix for MSHARED-86 (should use isFile instead of exists)
>  FELIX-899: widen dependency resolution and pass everything except
> test dependencies onto BND
>  FELIX-760: commit latest bindex code (based on r95 from the OSGi
> subversion repository)
>  FELIX-699: set analyzer base before loading properties in manifest goal
>         [ plus additional debug to help with problem determination ]
>
> I've built and signed the release candidate and made it available here:
>

> http://people.apache.org/~mcculls/releases/felix/maven-bundle-plugin/2.0.0/org/apache/felix/maven-bundle-plugin/2.0.0/<http://people.apache.org/%7Emcculls/releases/felix/maven-bundle-plugin/2.0.0/org/apache/felix/maven-bundle-plugin/2.0.0/>
>
> You can also find the KEYS for verifying the signature in this directory.
> To use the staging area as a plugin repository, add this to your POM:
>
>  <pluginRepositories>
>    <pluginRepository>
>      <id>bundleplugin.staging</id>
>      <url>
> http://people.apache.org/~mcculls/releases/felix/maven-bundle-plugin/2.0.0<http://people.apache.org/%7Emcculls/releases/felix/maven-bundle-plugin/2.0.0>
> </url>
>    </pluginRepository>
>  </pluginRepositories>
>
> Please check this release and cast your votes - the vote will be open
> until Wednesday 4th March to give people time to test the new plugin
> (and also because I'm starting this vote on a Friday).
>
>  [ ] +1 Yes, release it now
>  [ ] -1 No, don't release now (please provide specific comments)

+1 ;)

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
+1

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] release maven-bundle-plugin 2.0.0

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Stuart McCulloch wrote:
> 2009/2/27 Richard S. Hall <he...@ungoverned.org>
>

>> Cross posting a vote to three mailing lists? This doesn't seem like a good
>> idea.
>>

> posting a vote to dev and CC'ing it to users who'll want to test it out
> seems a good idea to me,
> especially as I think there are a lot of people who use the bundleplugin on
> these two other lists

I think you'd be better off posting the vote to dev@felix and then
posting a message to the other mailing list informing them about the
vote. Then I wouldn't be getting lots of duplicate votes in my mailbox
and messages to moderate for votes from non-subscribers.

> just posting it to the dev list limits the feedback on whether there are any
> showstopper bugs
> that will break people's existing projects - especially as this is a major
> update of functionality

I agree it is worthwhile to make more people aware of the pending
release, just debating the approach.

> binding votes will come via the dev list (and it's not as if I don't know
> who has binding votes...)

See above.

-> richard

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.
+1

Posted by Heiko Seeberger <he...@seebergers.de>.
+1

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
+1

Regards
Felix

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
+1

regards,

Karl

--
Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com

Re: [VOTE] release maven-bundle-plugin 2.0.0

Posted by Rob Walker <ro...@ascert.com>.
+1

Posted by Clement Escoffier <cl...@gmail.com>.
+1

Regards

Clement

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
+1

-> richard

[RESULT] [VOTE] release maven-bundle-plugin 2.0.0

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.
2009/2/27 Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>

> Hi folks,
>
> I'd like to start a vote for the 2.0.0 release of the maven-bundle-plugin.
> This release primarily contains a major update of the Bnd tool, which
> now requires you to build with a Java5 JDK. It also contains a number
> of improvements requested by the community to improve usability.
>
> [ note you can still compile for earlier JVMs by using the appropriate
>  source and target levels in the maven-compiler-plugin configuration ]
>
> Release 2.0.0 of the maven-bundle-plugin fixes the following issues:
>
>  FELIX-807,FELIX-782,FELIX-660,FELIX-549,FELIX-546,FELIX-545,
> FELIX-831,FELIX-677
>         All fixed by updating to use the latest version of the Bnd
> Tool (0.0.311)
>
>  FELIX-941: store the generated default symbolicname in
> $(maven-symbolicname) property
>  FELIX-912: set default Export-Package based on local source files
>  FELIX-684: support filters in excludeDependencies, such as *;scope=runtime
>  FELIX-806: pickup <archive> settings and enable support of
> addMavenDescriptor setting
>  FELIX-850: local fix for MSHARED-86 (should use isFile instead of exists)
>  FELIX-899: widen dependency resolution and pass everything except
> test dependencies onto BND
>  FELIX-760: commit latest bindex code (based on r95 from the OSGi
> subversion repository)
>  FELIX-699: set analyzer base before loading properties in manifest goal
>         [ plus additional debug to help with problem determination ]
>
> I've built and signed the release candidate and made it available here:
>

> http://people.apache.org/~mcculls/releases/felix/maven-bundle-plugin/2.0.0/org/apache/felix/maven-bundle-plugin/2.0.0/<http://people.apache.org/%7Emcculls/releases/felix/maven-bundle-plugin/2.0.0/org/apache/felix/maven-bundle-plugin/2.0.0/>
>
> You can also find the KEYS for verifying the signature in this directory.
> To use the staging area as a plugin repository, add this to your POM:
>
>  <pluginRepositories>
>    <pluginRepository>
>      <id>bundleplugin.staging</id>
>      <url>
> http://people.apache.org/~mcculls/releases/felix/maven-bundle-plugin/2.0.0<http://people.apache.org/%7Emcculls/releases/felix/maven-bundle-plugin/2.0.0>
> </url>
>    </pluginRepository>
>  </pluginRepositories>
>
> Please check this release and cast your votes - the vote will be open
> until Wednesday 4th March to give people time to test the new plugin
> (and also because I'm starting this vote on a Friday).
>
>  [ ] +1 Yes, release it now
>  [ ] -1 No, don't release now (please provide specific comments)
>
> --
> Cheers, Stuart

time to call the vote:

+1 (binding) from Richard S Hall, Rob Walker, Karl Pauls, Carsten Ziegeler,
Felix Meschberger, and Stuart McCulloch

+1 (non-binding) from Alin Dreghiciu, Toni Menzel, Heiko Seeberger, Mark
Derricutt, and Clement Escoffier

no other votes were received

the vote to release maven-bundle-plugin 2.0.0 has passed - I'll upload the
artifacts and send an announcement

--
Cheers, Stuart

Re: maven-bundle-plugin question

Posted by Thierry Templier <te...@yahoo.fr>.
Hello Stuart,

Thanks very much for your very complete and clear answer!
Thierry

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.
2009/2/27 Thierry Templier <te...@yahoo.fr>

> Hello,
>
> I have a question regarding the use of the maven-bundle-plugin. I try to
> develop a bundle with this tool and would like to do the following things.
>
> 1°) Is it possible to use a particular MANIFEST for my bundle and not to
> leave the plugin to generate one for me?

you can provide a file with manifest entries, just use the
<_include>filename</_include>
element in your POM (maps to the -include instruction, see
http://aqute.biz/Code/Bnd)
or you can set your manifest entries directly in the <instructions> section
in the POM:

  <plugin>
    <groupId>org.apache.felix</groupId>
    <configuration>
      <instructions>
        <_include>some-manifest-or-property-file.txt</_include>
        <SomeManifestHeader>some value or other</SomeManifestHeader>
        <!-- etc -->
      </instructions>

however, the Bnd tool may augment your given manifest with information it
finds out about
package versions, directives, etc. - but you can turn a lot of this off by
using instructions
documented at the above Bnd site. For example the <_removeheaders> element
will let
you remove named entries from the final manifest, allowing you to discard
the additional
(informational) entries typically added by Bnd:

<_removeheaders>Bnd-LastModified,Include-Resource,Private-Package,Tool</_removeheaders>

the Bnd tool will also warn you if it thinks your manifest doesn't match the
bundle content

you could add an extra build step that ensures your exact manifest file is
the one in the
final bundle, but that would negate a lot of the benefit of the bundleplugin
- you might as
well jar up your bundle normally with the maven-jar-plugin and then use the
Bnd tool in
a separate Ant task to verify the bundle is valid.

2°) Is it possible to control the content of this file in order to have
> something like that:
>
> Manifest-Version: 1.0
>
> Export-Package: fr.test.spring.osgi.simple.service
>
> Bundle-Name: Spring OSGi Bundle
>
> Bundle-SymbolicName: fr.test.spring.osgi.simple

yes - you could put these entries in whatever file you include or add them
as elements to the
<instructions> in your POM. You can also use built-in Maven properties like
${project.name}
or custom project properties you set in the POM (or its parents)

alternatively you could get Maven to filter this file (like any other
resource) and then pull in the
filtered version into the bundleplugin instructions

> In this case, the problem is that only classes of the specified package are
> included in the bundle. Is there a way to specify which packages must be
> added in the resulting bundle without specifying additional MANIFEST
> headers?

try the 2.0.0 release candidate I mentioned in an earlier post:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/felix-dev/200902.mbox/%3C81f0d9c0902270201k701069f7y756b1a7e461369f7@mail.gmail.com%3E

by default it sets Private-Package to include all your locally compiled
classes

if you want more control over your bundle content (ie. embedding
dependencies
or pulling in more resources from non-Maven locations) then you'll have to
tell the
Bnd tool by adding the relevant headers, as it can't read your mind ;)

but you can then use <_removeheaders> to remove them from the final manifest

> Thanks for your help!
> Thierry

Cheers, Stuart

Re: Re: [VOTE] release maven-bundle-plugin 2.0.0

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.
2009/3/5 <Cl...@raibau.at>

> > well not really, the expected behaviour is that plugin dependencies
> > don't conflict with project dependencies
> I don't use maven-bundle-plugin as a plugin, but as a dependency (for a
> plugin that extends the maven-bundle-plugin), so the version conflict I
> got is correct. And since what I do is not the expected use of the
> maven-bundle-plugin, you are right, I cannot really expect that the
> dependencies will be updated.

ah, yes - Maven doesn't handle that scenario very well (ie. plugin
extension/inheritance)
the simplest solution would probably be for you to patch the bundleplugin
source locally

Cheers

--
Cheers, Stuart

Antwort: Re: [VOTE] release maven-bundle-plugin 2.0.0

Posted by Cl...@raibau.at.
> well not really, the expected behaviour is that plugin dependencies
> don't conflict with project dependencies
I don't use maven-bundle-plugin as a plugin, but as a dependency (for a
plugin that extends the maven-bundle-plugin), so the version conflict I
got is correct. And since what I do is not the expected use of the
maven-bundle-plugin, you are right, I cannot really expect that the
dependencies will be updated.

Cheers

-- clovis

______________________________________
Diese E-Mail kann vertrauliche und geschuetzte Informationen enthalten. Wenn diese E-Mail nicht für Sie bestimmt ist, bitten wir Sie, uns unverzueglich zu informieren und sie zu loeschen.

This e-mail message may contain information, which is confidential and protected. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, we ask you to inform us immediately and delete the message afterwards.

Re: [VOTE] release maven-bundle-plugin 2.0.0

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.
2009/3/5 <Cl...@raibau.at>

> > please note that the vote has already completed and 2.0.0 is now
> released
> Sorry, since the time was not mentioned, I assumed that "the vote will be
> open until Wednesday 4th March" meant "until 23:59".

timezones vary, I live over in Malaysia - next time I'll emphasize the time
( also note that the vote was kept open longer than the usual 72 hours )

> to investigate this issue further you should open a new JIRA issue
> This is not an issue, it is the expected behavior, so I must live with it
> (although I hope the dependencies will eventually be updated, as the JDK
> version required to build Bnd).

well not really, the expected behaviour is that plugin dependencies
don't conflict with project dependencies - so if you have an example
of where there is a conflict you should raise a JIRA issue and attach
a testcase that recreates the problem

given this dependency has always been there and no-one's reported
this issue I would suspect it might be a subtle Maven bug, but unless
I have a testcase I can't investigate - and without an issue I'm unlikely
to change the dependency, as it has been fine up to now...

Cheers

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Stuart McCulloch wrote:
> 2009/3/4 <Cl...@raibau.at>
>
>> [x] -1
>>
>> maven-bundle-plugin 2.0.0 uses the version 1.0-alpha-7 of
>> org.codehaus.plexus.plexus.archiver. This is a problem for me, because I
>> need the version 1.0-alpha-10, which is not compatible with 1.0-alpha-7.
>> If I use maven-bundle-plugin 2.0.0 and org.codehaus.plexus.plexus.archiver
>> 1.0-alpha-10 together, I get an error:
>>

> please note that the vote has already completed and 2.0.0 is now released

And in addition: a bug is not necessarily a showstopper for a release.
Depending
on the bug the community can decide to release or to first fix the bug.

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] release maven-bundle-plugin 2.0.0

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.
2009/3/4 <Cl...@raibau.at>

> [x] -1
>
> maven-bundle-plugin 2.0.0 uses the version 1.0-alpha-7 of
> org.codehaus.plexus.plexus.archiver. This is a problem for me, because I
> need the version 1.0-alpha-10, which is not compatible with 1.0-alpha-7.
> If I use maven-bundle-plugin 2.0.0 and org.codehaus.plexus.plexus.archiver
> 1.0-alpha-10 together, I get an error:

please note that the vote has already completed and 2.0.0 is now released

also the bundleplugin has used 1.0-alpha-7 of the plexus archiver in its pom
since its first public release (1.2.0) so this dependency is not something
new
in this release, it has been there since the very beginning...

I'm also not sure why you are getting a conflict - Maven is supposed to
isolate
plugins from external project dependencies (that's why they recommend plugin
poms explicitly list their dependency versions, which is what we do)

to investigate this issue further you should open a new JIRA issue and
attach
a testcase that we can use to recreate your problem - you should also list
your
OS / Java / Maven details in case it's actually a Maven issue

[INFO]