Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Lin Sun <li...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/08 18:43:54 UTC

boilerplate vs. framework as required plugin for custom server assembly

Hi,

I have been looking at GERONIMO-4226 today.

For a while, we have been recommending users to pick boilerplate as a
required plugin when assembling a custom server, in order to get a
working server.   However, this working server isn't really working,
as a user won't be able to start the server using gshell (see G4226).

I am proposing to recommend users to pick the framework plugin group
(org.apache.geronimo.plugingroups/framework/2.2-SNAPSHOT/car) as the
required plugin when assembling a custom server, in order to get a
working server.    I don't think this is possible with 2.1.x releases
as the framework plugin group doesn't exist there.   Any issue with
that?  If no, I'll update our code and user docs.

Lin

Re: boilerplate vs. framework as required plugin for custom server assembly

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Oct 14, 2008, at 6:27 AM, Donald Woods wrote:

> I believe there are too many c-m-p and plugin/pluginprofile changes/
> additions to warrant adding this into the 2.1 maintenance stream.

I agree wholeheartedly.
david jencks

Posted by Lin Sun <li...@gmail.com>.
Yea I agree.  I think it will be a lot of working to pulling them into
2.1 branch thus I don't intend to do so.

Lin

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jack Cai <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lin,

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Oct 8, 2008, at 9:43 AM, Lin Sun wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been looking at GERONIMO-4226 today.
>
> For a while, we have been recommending users to pick boilerplate as a
> required plugin when assembling a custom server, in order to get a
> working server.   However, this working server isn't really working,
> as a user won't be able to start the server using gshell (see G4226).
>
> I am proposing to recommend users to pick the framework plugin group
> (org.apache.geronimo.plugingroups/framework/2.2-SNAPSHOT/car) as the
> required plugin when assembling a custom server, in order to get a
> working server.    I don't think this is possible with 2.1.x releases
> as the framework plugin group doesn't exist there.   Any issue with
> that?  If no, I'll update our code and user docs.

I agree, this was my (IIRC not expressed) intention when originally
thinking about the framework plugin group.  I think it's used this way
in all our assemblies already.

thanks for picking this up.... it fell off my radar.
david jencks