Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by "Walter Heestermans (TME)" <wa...@external.toyota-europe.com> on 2018/02/02 11:00:56 UTC

Extend daily log file appender

Hi,

For GDPR we should have some log4 log appender (extended from daily log file appender) that encrypts the log information.

Anybody aware of some appender doing that? If not can somebody provide sample to create own appender based on the default daily file logger?

Regards
Walter

This e-mail may contain confidential information. If you are not an addressee or otherwise authorised to receive this message, you should not use, copy, disclose or take any action based on this e-mail. If you have received this e-mail in error, please inform the sender promptly and delete this message and any attachments immediately.

Re: Extend daily log file appender

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.
Take a look at the RewriteAppender (https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/appenders.html#RewriteAppender). That may be a good start.

Remko

(Shameless plug) Every java main() method deserves http://picocli.info

Posted by "Walter Heestermans (TME)" <wa...@external.toyota-europe.com>.

Posted by Chandra <ch...@rwth-aachen.de>.

Posted by "Walter Heestermans (TME)" <wa...@external.toyota-europe.com>.

Posted by Chandra <ch...@rwth-aachen.de>.
any issues to log encrypted data directly?

Reg, Chandra

On 2 Feb 2018, 4:31 PM +0530, Walter Heestermans (TME) <wa...@external.toyota-europe.com>, wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For GDPR we should have some log4 log appender (extended from daily log file appender) that encrypts the log information.
>
> Anybody aware of some appender doing that? If not can somebody provide sample to create own appender based on the default daily file logger?
>
> Regards
> Walter
>

> This e-mail may contain confidential information. If you are not an addressee or otherwise authorised to receive this message, you should not use, copy, disclose or take any action based on this e-mail. If you have received this e-mail in error, please inform the sender promptly and delete this message and any attachments immediately.

Antwort: [Newsletter] Extend daily log file appender

Posted by Jo...@rohde-schwarz.com.
Hi,

Which log4<X> are you using? For log4net you can implement a LockingModel
[1] for the (rolling) file appender that wraps the aquired stream. This
works quite nicely for compression (wrap the underlaying file stream in a
gzip stream [2]) or encryption (wrap in crypto stream [3]).

Just ensure the configuration can't be altered; else it's trivial to
disable encryption...

[1]:
https://logging.apache.org/log4net/release/sdk/html/P_log4net_Appender_FileAppender_LockingModel.htm
[2]: