Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Neha Agrawal <ne...@yahoo.co.in> on 2008/01/18 21:36:47 UTC

catalina.out hangs in tomcat5.5

hi
   my tomcat5.5 server works correctly with APR
as it showing default web pages for both 8180 and 8443
ports..

but when i try to open catalina.out file in the logs
directory it hangs the terminal..file shows no data..
when i did ls -al for this file  i got

prwx------ 1 tomcat55 root 0 2008-01-18 12:23
catalina.out

couple of times opening this file showed crashed
editio sessions of vi..so asked to recover , i
recovered but its recovery terminal also crashed..

also i changed group of this file to nogroup from
root, deleting all .swp files and restarted the
server..
then again ls -al gave identical output as above..
and again the file session crashed..

in all the above tomcat server works correctly...
what may be the problem?

neha

      Now you can chat without downloading messenger. Go to http://in.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php

Re: catalina.out hangs in tomcat5.5

Posted by Ben Stringer <be...@burbong.com>.
On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 20:36 +0000, Neha Agrawal wrote:
> hi
>    my tomcat5.5 server works correctly with APR
> as it showing default web pages for both 8180 and 8443
> ports..
>
> but when i try to open catalina.out file in the logs
> directory it hangs the terminal..file shows no data..
> when i did ls -al for this file  i got
>
> prwx------ 1 tomcat55 root 0 2008-01-18 12:23
> catalina.out
>
> couple of times opening this file showed crashed
> editio sessions of vi..so asked to recover , i
> recovered but its recovery terminal also crashed..
>
> also i changed group of this file to nogroup from
> root, deleting all .swp files and restarted the
> server..
> then again ls -al gave identical output as above..
> and again the file session crashed..
>
> in all the above tomcat server works correctly...
> what may be the problem?

Hi Neha,

The listing you supplied shows that "catalina.out" is not a regular file
(as it should be), but a "named pipe", a different, and most likely
inappropriate file type.

I suggest you stop tomcat, remove catalina.out, then restart tomcat.
When you do an "ls -la" of catalina.out after this, the permissions,
should then start with "-rwx", rather than "prwx". You should then be
able to view and edit the log file.

Cheers, Ben