Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Keshan Sodimana | කේෂාන් සෝදිමාන <ke...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/05 20:21:01 UTC

Help regarding mentoring program

Hi all,

I am Keshan Sodimana an undergraduate from University of Colombo school of
computing, Sri Lanka. i am a big FOSS enthusiast and i have been working on
several open source projects but i am a newbie to Apache Software
Foundation. though i have use it products i haven't been able to contribute
to ASF. once i found this mentoring program i was inspired by it so, i
decided to get some advise and help to find a project for me to contribute.

i am interested in Java, basically it is my mother tongue in computing. i am
a SCJP, SCMAD and have a lot of experience in Java EE as well. i am also
very familiar with Flex, Ruby on Rails as well as mobile technologies like
Java ME, Android and i am a full time Linux user so have a good knowledge
about linux as well but i am not that much familiar and interested in C/C++.
so, i think if someone propose me a good project for me to work on it will
be a great help.

Thanks,
regards,
Keshan Sanjaya Sodimana.

Re: Help regarding mentoring program

Posted by Keshan Sodimana | කේෂාන් සෝදිමාන <ke...@gmail.com>.
Thank you very much once again i will get my hands wet with Derby asap and
let you know via derby mailing list if i have any other questions

cheers,
Keshan

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.

Posted by Keshan Sodimana | කේෂාන් සෝදිමාන <ke...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Kathey for your quick reply and the warm welcome. yes i have done a
coursework in database but i am not going to do this as a coursework instead
i would like to interact with a mentor from ASF(better i can find a mentor
from Sri lanka then there will be no time issues and we can even meet in a
coffee shop rather than only in mailing lists or IRCs but i am ok with
anyone). as for time commitment, usually i committed 5-6 hours a day for
blogging and for other open source projects so i can commit 1-2 hours per
day for ASF but within exam days(that will come in mid of July) i won't be
able to commit that much . i have heard of Derby but never used so, i will
learn it before doing anything and i like if you can suggest me any other
resources to learn about Derby which will be important for
developing rather than using it.

Thanks in advance,
cheers,
Keshan