Posted to dev@bookkeeper.apache.org by Jia Zhai <zh...@gmail.com> on 2017/06/10 19:19:51 UTC

BP-9 - Github issues for Issue Tracking

Hi all,

I've put up a proposal
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BOOKKEEPER/BP-9+-+Github+issues+for+Issue+Tracking>
on how to use Github issues, try to start with very simple steps. Any
thoughts?

Best Regards.
-Jia

Re: BP-9 - Github issues for Issue Tracking

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Jia. More comments added on Enrico's.

There are unknowns related INFRA permissions. It might be making sense for
you to reach out first and update what permissions work in the BP. So other
people knows the INFRA situation.

On Jun 11, 2017 4:38 AM, "Enrico Olivelli" <eo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thank you Jia for starting the discussion.
I think the labes/milestones can work as you described, but maybe we can
consider to use composite labels like component/server or type/improvement.

Good idea the fact to only mark blocker issues, it is a good starting
point, simple but effective

Good idea to not create too simple issues which will be duplicates of their
corresponding PR

The only thing I would like to drop is the idea of using github merge
facility, motivations:

1) the merge script is powerful and we can adapt it to our needs as well.
It is useful to record the reviewers explicitly in git log

2) it is better to use directly ASF infrastructure, I am thinking to
security, a github account is more volatile than our ids on apache infra
OK for updating the merge script, I have already created an issue on GitHub
for that improvement, see:
https://github.com/apache/bookkeeper/issues/184

I think the ASF is moving to full github, not just mirror. That is I heard
at Apache Con. If the INFRA team has full github support, it would be
making sense to use what INFRA supports. So it might be worth checking out
the permissions at INFRA.

We should also explicitly decide how to finish 4.5.0 release, as most of
the issues are on JIRA

I think 4.5.0 will follow the current release process and we can manually
add the github issues to the notes.

Maybe we could draft in the BP how in the future we will migrate currently
open issues on JIRA

We are not officially moving. This is a try out period. I don't think we
should talk about migration.

Last point is to imagine how we will prepare "release notes", in JIRA it is
simple to automatically create a report page, on the GitHub I have no
experience

I would suggest moving the release part on a separate BP. The reason is :
it is a try out period, we might first just focus on issues and pull
requests. For 4.5.0, we can manually manage the issues on github to add to
release notes. Starting simpler is always easier.

It is better to defer this as it is a tryout period. The release procedure
discussion only makes sense to me when we officially move.

-- Enrico

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jia Zhai <zh...@gmail.com>.
FYI. created bookkeeper [issue](
https://github.com/apache/bookkeeper/issues/191) and [PR](
https://github.com/apache/bookkeeper/pull/192),
We could try them out to see what permissions we have now under Apache’s
mirror github.

Posted by Jia Zhai <zh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Flavio P JUNQUEIRA <fp...@apache.org>.
Thanks for putting this together, Jia.

>  If a change is trivial, or you have the code ready, you
>  can open a PR directly; otherwise create an issue for
>  discussion before starting writing code.

This is one of those things that sound like a good idea initially, but then
judging whether we need an issue or not may not be entirely obvious. Or
perhaps, we think the issue won't require discussion and the discussion
ends up happening. I know there is redundancy between issue and pull
request in github and a discussion on the pull request is also valid, but
to keep the rules simple and clear, we could just say that we always create
an issue for a pull request and the only discussions on the pull requests
are the ones about the code changes. Also, if we have an issue for each
pull request, then we can make the commit message look like: "BK-1024: My
cute little issue" plus a short change log description if we want.

> sub-tasks

It might be worth adding a point to the proposal about sub-tasks as this is
probably how we will be working with umbrella issues: use (- [ ]) for
each subtask and create a corresponding issue to map to the sub-task.

> workflow

In jira, we submit a patch when a contributor wants it merged and a
committer cancels the patch when there are necessary changes. Do we want to
implement a similar workflow using labels?

-Flavio