Posted to dev@hivemind.apache.org by "Liebig, Stefan " <St...@compeople.de> on 2004/10/28 10:35:41 UTC

Injecting of Configurations/Contributions

I have very often the case that I have to convert the List of contributions
into a Map for faster access. In such cases I have always marked a single
attribute with unique="true". This attribute will get the key of my Map. The
values will the corresponding contribution elements or their mapping class.

I would like to have constructors of services such as:
a)	MyServiceOne( Map allContributions )

b)	MyServiceTwo( List allContributions )

for both services their would be a constructor injection such as:
<configuration>AllContributions</configuration>

In case a) HiveMind should create a Map from ´AllContributions´ and in b) a List.
Creating a Map requieres exactly one attribute/property marked as unique.

Do other have similar needs?

Stefan Liebig
compeople AG
Untermainanlage 8
60329 Frankfurt

fon: +49 (69) 272218 - 0
fax: +49 (69) 272218 - 22
email: stefan.liebig@compeople.de
home: www.compeople.de

RE: Injecting of Configurations/Contributions

Posted by Jean-Francois Poilpret <jf...@hcm.vnn.vn>.
Hi,

This seems a good idea to me (I already had this requirement but finally I
could do without after a big redesign).
However, I don't think that the choice of the key should be based on the
"one attribute that is unique", what if more than one attribute is unique?
Probably this should be a new property in the schema definition to indicate
this fact.

Generally speaking, one common problem with HiveMind configuration currently
is that whatever the configuration you always get a List injected (same
problem with parameters to factories)
This sounds awkward in particular for cases where the configuration (or
parameters) define exactly one, or (0 or one) occurrences. In this case,
having to call get(0) and cast it to the right Contribution code seems
boring when you have done it a few times...
Maybe having a better injection of Contributions in that case, that would
directly pass the specific Contribution object (or null if no contribution
was provided) would be "nice to have".

Just my 2c.