Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jason Novotny <no...@aei.mpg.de> on 2004/06/27 13:58:58 UTC

UTF-8 character encoding and Tomcat 5.0.25

Hi,

    In upgrading my webapp from Tomcat 4.1.X to Tomcat 5.0.25, it seems
UTF-8 character encoding no longer works as it did before. I've already
read and followed advice from the Tomcat FAQ
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/tomcatuser.html and read the bug
reports related to this problem with no clues.

    Here's what I've done so far:

1) Add a filter which does the request.setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8");

2) Use res.setContentType("text/html; charset=utf-8"); and
    out.println("<meta http-equiv=\"Content-Type\" content=\"text/html;
charset=utf-8\"/>");

    in my servlet when creating the html page to be output

3) Add <%@ page contentType="text/html; charset=UTF-8"
pageEncoding="UTF-8" %>

to the top of JSP files containing strings to be localized

    What else could I missing? What I would like to know is why is it
possible for my code to work fine on Tomcat 4 but not Tomcat 5-- it
would seem either something is in fact broken, or instructions need to
be updated on adding some bit of information that wasn't necessary before.

    Thanks, Jason