Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Manik Magar <ma...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/05 01:52:09 UTC

DateField selectedDate and text issue

Hi All,

While working with DateField, I observed below behavior, is it a bug? If
yes, should be it be logged to Apache JIRA or Adobe bug database and Can I
put a fix for it in SDK?

Assume a Datefield added on some application -

<s:DateField id="dt"/>

on some button click i have below code -

dt.selectedDate = new Date();
Alert.show(dt.selectedDate);   ---- This alerts todays date
Alert.show(dt.text);   ---- alerts todays date

dt.text = "";

Alert.show(dt.text);   ---- alerts ""
Alert.show(dt.selectedDate);   ---- This still alerts todays date.

Now, if you open a datefield in front end to select a date, selectedDate
gets reset to NULL because text is set to "".
text will reset to "" if selectedDate is set to null, then why not
vice-versa?

Shouldn't this happen as soon as you set text = ""?

--  MM

Re: DateField selectedDate and text issue

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 4/4/12 4:52 PM, "Manik Magar" <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> While working with DateField, I observed below behavior, is it a bug? If
> yes, should be it be logged to Apache JIRA or Adobe bug database and Can I
> put a fix for it in SDK?
>

> Assume a Datefield added on some application -
>
> <s:DateField id="dt"/>
>

> on some button click i have below code -
>
> dt.selectedDate = new Date();
> Alert.show(dt.selectedDate);   ---- This alerts todays date
> Alert.show(dt.text);   ---- alerts todays date
>
> dt.text = "";
>
> Alert.show(dt.text);   ---- alerts ""
> Alert.show(dt.selectedDate);   ---- This still alerts todays date.
>

> Now, if you open a datefield in front end to select a date, selectedDate
> gets reset to NULL because text is set to "".
> text will reset to "" if selectedDate is set to null, then why not
> vice-versa?
>
> Shouldn't this happen as soon as you set text = ""?
>

> --  MM
That is expected behavior because most components use invalidation.
Changing a property programmatically isn't guaranteed to change computed
properties without time to validate or a call to validateNow().

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team