Posted to dev@kudu.apache.org by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org> on 2016/10/05 23:54:08 UTC

Update on Java tests flakiness

Hey Kudu devs,

I just got a load of patches in that fix various flakiness and actual bugs
in the Java client and its testing infrastructure. If you have a build
failure due to Java tests on a patch that has bce1dd7, please reach out to
me so I can take a look at it.

Thanks,

J-D

Re: Update on Java tests flakiness

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
Phew that's good bug.

AsyncKuduClient.sendRpcToTablet() can call delayedSendRpcToTablet() which
checks if the RPC has hit too many retries and, if so, both returns a
Deferred.fromError and calls errback on the RPC. That all seems good,
except that in this case sendRpcToTablet() doesn't care about what's
returned and just returns the RPC's Deferred. The problem? That Deferred is
bogus if you've hit too many retries, the RPC was already errback'd.

This probably reads like $foreign_language, but I think Dan and Adar
understand what it means.

I'm trying to get a test that reproes, but it's a really tight race
condition that gets us into this situation.

J-D

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.