Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sourabh Kulkarni <so...@geometricsoftware.com> on 2003/04/25 15:27:56 UTC

Tomcat 4 rejecting connection

Hi,
    We have an existing application which was running on Tomcat 3.2.4. We
have upgraded to Tomcat4. However, now we are getting "Connection refused"
exceptions from Tomcat after sometime. Ours is a  collaborative application
which basically uses applet-servlet communication. and there are 2 more
servers running on webserver machine. The servlet communicates with those
servers using RMI and returns the response. Application code is same in both
cases. We are using Tomcat standalone (not with Apache/IIS.. I know we
should).
Here is what I have tried..
1. Tomcat 4.0.6 (latest production release with 4.0 series). I tried with
HttpConnector and default setting. I get the connection exception just after
2 clients join and attempt some activity in applet. With CoyoteConnector and
default setting, I get the exception but not as quick as in first case.
2. Tomcat 4.1.24 (latest stable release) I tried with CoyoteConnector with
default setting. I get the exception after lot of time like.. 6-7 clients
working for around half hour or so. However, the user can reconnect to the
server without any problem.
My questions..
1. Why is Tomcat4 rejecting the connection so quickly, when earlier tomcat
didn't give any problem.? Has anyone faced similar issue with Tomcat4.
2. Am I missing something in configuration? I have just changed default port
to "80" and added 2 webapps.
3. How is CoyoteConnector different from legacy HttpConnector? I couldn't
find an explanation on this.

I have spent 2 days on this problem searching on the internet.
Any help or pointer is highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

-Sourabh Kulkarni
sourabhk@geometricsoftware.com

This e-mail communication and any attachments are privileged and
confidential and intended only for the use of the recipients named above.
If you are not the intended recipient, please do not review, disclose,
disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail and attachments. If you have
by email or telephone at +91-20-2906219

Re: Tomcat 4 rejecting connection

Posted by Sourabh Kulkarni <so...@geometricsoftware.com>.
Hi John,
    Thanks for the response. Yes I have gone through it. The configuration I
have is
maxProcessors=75, minProcessors=5, acceptCount=100, etc.. which is default.
    Also, I don't think that our application is generating more than 175
simultaneous requests. I suspect that the processor is not getting released
to the pool though the response is sent. In case of "HttpConnector" with
default setting of max=75, accept=10.. it still amounts to 85 simultaneous
requests and I am pretty sure that we don't have those many requests with
just 2 clients connected.
     I read somewhere that until the "Socket" is closed by the browser (or
client), the processor doesn't return to the pool. I believe when we close
the "InputStream" or "OutputStream" on the connection from applet to
servlet, we close the socket. Am I right?
Any other pointer?
Thanks in advance,
-Sourabh Kulkarni

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.