Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by theUser BL <th...@hotmail.com> on 2011/07/07 17:01:24 UTC

What is the advantage of the Apache OpenOffice.org Fork?

Hi!
What is the advantage of the Apache OpenOffice.org Fork?

Currently there are two point of views what a OOo fork is and what not.

If you look at the trademark and logo, then LibreOffice is the fork.

But if you look at all other things, like where all the old OOo developer are working and so on, then LibreOffice is the new OpenOffice.org and the Apache OpenOffice.org is the fork.

For me (and not only for me) developer are much more important then project logos and names. And so for me (and not only for me) Apache OpenOffice.org with its new developers is the fork.

I have seen, how OpenOffice.org changed after the core team changed to LibreOffice.
Ok, at this point I want to mention icons. Have a look at this screenshot of OOo from the old team:
http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/img/preview_screenshots/openoffice11.png
and then have a look at the icons of the OOo after the core team have left:
http://t3n.de/news/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/OpenOffice_org_33.jpg
All icons looking at the first view identical. Same colors, similar look.

OpenOffice.org have had a philosophy behind a lot of things. Here the coloring spcs of the old OOo:
http://ui.openoffice.org/VisualDesign/OOo_galaxy_mimetype.html
As there stand "The language of colors are one of the most important
            identifier to differ between all of OpenOffice.org applications.".
But the Apache OpenOffice.org fork have forgotten it.

But the team, who have written the spec, have at LibreOffice created new icons with the same philosophy:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/LibreOffice_Initial_Icons

Thats for example.

And no one other, then the people at LibreOffice understanding the code base of the Office Suite better.

So what is the advantage of your OpenOffice.org fork? What will Apache OOo do better then LibreOffice?

Greatings
theuserbl

Re: What is the advantage of the Apache OpenOffice.org Fork?

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.
Don't forget the child prodigies that have been working on it since they were 5.

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch>.
Am 07.07.11 17:01, schrieb theUser BL:
> Hi!
> What is the advantage of the Apache OpenOffice.org Fork?
>
> Currently there are two point of views what a OOo fork is and what not.
>
> If you look at the trademark and logo, then LibreOffice is the fork.
>
> But if you look at all other things, like where all the old OOo developer are working and so on, then LibreOffice is the new OpenOffice.org and the Apache OpenOffice.org is the fork.
If you call Marketing people, translators, and Doc writer developer,
Yes. But I think you are wrong informated by the press. The main work of
the core development was done by the developer at Hamburg, not by
Novell, RedHat or Canonical. It's simply wrong if you say, that the
developer from Hamburg has changed to LibO. That's FUD and no more.
> For me (and not only for me) developer are much more important then project logos and names. And so for me (and not only for me) Apache OpenOffice.org with its new developers is the fork.
We have new Developer but also same of the moast expirienced OOo
developers from Hamburg. They work since the Star Office time at this
Programm

> I have seen, how OpenOffice.org changed after the core team changed to LibreOffice.
> Ok, at this point I want to mention icons. Have a look at this screenshot of OOo from the old team:
> http://www.novell.com/products/desktop/img/preview_screenshots/openoffice11.png
> and then have a look at the icons of the OOo after the core team have left:
> http://t3n.de/news/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/OpenOffice_org_33.jpg
> All icons looking at the first view identical. Same colors, similar look.
>
> OpenOffice.org have had a philosophy behind a lot of things. Here the coloring spcs of the old OOo:
> http://ui.openoffice.org/VisualDesign/OOo_galaxy_mimetype.html
> As there stand "The language of colors are one of the most important
>              identifier to differ between all of OpenOffice.org applications.".
> But the Apache OpenOffice.org fork have forgotten it.
And wath has colors to due with core development, nothing.
> But the team, who have written the spec, have at LibreOffice created new icons with the same philosophy:
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/LibreOffice_Initial_Icons
They are marketing people and same ui designer not core developer
> Thats for example.
>
> And no one other, then the people at LibreOffice understanding the code base of the Office Suite better.
>

> So what is the advantage of your OpenOffice.org fork? What will Apache OOo do better then LibreOffice?
We have over 60 peoples as Commitor and two Companys IBM and RF2000
behind use. This are enough reason to exist.

Greetings Raphael

Re: What is the advantage of the Apache OpenOffice.org Fork?

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 5:01 PM, theUser BL <th...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
> What is the advantage of the Apache OpenOffice.org Fork?
> So what is the advantage of your OpenOffice.org fork? What will Apache OOo do better then LibreOffice?

Off the top of my head and AFAIK:
* (At least) Apple's and Microsoft's app stores disallow copyleft
licenses, so LibreOffice probably can't get into them, while
OpenOffice.org can.
* LibreOffice only had 1.3 million downloads in 6 months, compared to
OpenOffice.org 3.x's 100 million downloads in 1 year. It seems like
the project with the OpenOffice.org brand will win.
* Some of the changes LibreOffice has made seem political rather than
constructive, eg. removal of Java code and introduction of Python.
* IBM is willling to work with OpenOffice.org but not LibreOffice.
* OpenOffice.org has had a large number of people sign up already.

> Greatings
> theuserbl

Damjan

Re: *Solaris support

Posted by Eike Rathke <oo...@erack.de>.
Hi Jerry,

On Thursday, 2011-07-14 17:54:16 -0500, Jerry Kemp wrote:

> I am interested in providing support for Solaris/Solaris distro's, to
> the extent of my capability.

Great! As the transition from Oracle to Apache isn't completed yet and
there is no AOOo source code repository, I'd suggest you pickup the
current OOo 3.4 code line and start a build as that is where AOOo will
be based on. For details see
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide
and replace OOO330 with OOO340 where mentioned in
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide/Getting_the_source

> As I am new to this community, and I am assuming that you are not, how
> do I move forward?

We are all pretty new to this new community. Some are more familiar with
or raised the old OpenOffice.org, but that's it.

> Please email me off line if that is that is what is appropriate.

All project related discussion should be kept on the public mailing
lists unless there are explicit reasons not to.

Btw, for new subjects please start a new thread instead of replying to
an existing thread, then your mail isn't buried in a threaded view.

  Eike

Re: *Solaris support - WAS What is the advantage of the Apache OpenOffice.org Fork?

Posted by Mathias Bauer <Ma...@gmx.net>.
Hi Jerry,

once we will have the source code moved over from the old openoffice.org
repository, we will try to build it in the new environment. For the time
being I assume that the old build instructions at

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide

are where we should start on all platforms.

If you will try to do a first build from the Apache repo on Solaris, we
can discuss problems and their solutions here on the list. We have at
least one developer who has built OOo on Solaris (Intel) regularily, so
I'm pretty optimistic that we will get that going. It's great that you
want to take an active role and help with maintaining the Solaris port.
Excellent!

I don't know if you have built OOo already on Solaris. In case not,
doing it in the current (openoffice.org) environment would be a good
preparation for what will come next.

You could get the current source by cloning the Mercurial repo at
http://hg.services.openoffice.org/OOO340 and follow the build
instructions at

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide/Building_on_Solaris

Please ask here in case you get stuck anywhere.

Best regards,
Mathias

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <gi...@tutopia.com>.
 Hi Eike,

 On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 12:32:19 +0200, Eike Rathke <oo...@erack.de> wrote:
> Hi Pedro,
>
> On Thursday, 2011-07-14 20:40:06 -0700, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
>
>> There is a nice repository called "Blastwave":
>> http://www.blastwave.org/jir/packages.fam
>>
>> They carry OpenOffice 2.2.1 in just about every language.
>
> Who would be interested in OOo 2.2.1 nowadays?

 My point exactly, the Blastwave guys have the packaging
 know-how and surely must by interested in updating their stuff.

> However, there still is
> http://archive.services.openoffice.org/pub/openoffice-archive/
> with all released versions (minus current OOo3.3 release) for all
> platforms available.

 I didn't want to touch this yet but at least for windows there
 is an "update' feature, something to think about.

 Cheers,

 Pedro.

Re: *Solaris support - WAS What is the advantage of the Apache OpenOffice.org Fork?

Posted by Eike Rathke <oo...@erack.de>.
Hi Pedro,

Re: *Solaris support

Posted by Eike Rathke <oo...@erack.de>.
Hi Dennis,

On Thursday, 2011-07-14 20:20:37 -0700, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> It seems like the first thing for you or someone working with you to
> do is find a way to build a release on Solaris from the source code.
> Since 3.3.0 was built for both Solaris x86 and Sparc, you should be
> able to determine what it takes for that distribution (with
> integration of all of the localizations).

The OOO340 code line is known to build on Solaris SPARC and x86, so
starting with that is the best.

> The distributions and the source code is available at
> <http://download.services.openoffice.org/files/stable/3.3.0/>.  Look
> at the src_* files at the end.  Notice the significant size of the
> source code.

Using the Mercurial repo has some advantages over using the raw source
code bundle, in case adaptions are needed you get the benefit of a DSCM,
hg queues to manage patches and the like.

> You'll need to roam around the Developers information, including
> information about the build environment:
> <http://tools.openoffice.org/build_env.html>.  (I can't vouch for how
> current any of this is.)

Most is still applicable, some may be outdated. That site lists details
not available in the Wiki if one wants to adapt the build environment,
but for general build instructions I'd refer to
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide/Getting_the_source
and following chapters.

Posted by Jens-Heiner Rechtien <jh...@web.de>.
Hi,

every OOo 3.x milestone has been successfully built on Solaris 10 (x86
and Sparc). The autoconfig support might be slightly broken as we did
not use it regularly but this is easily fixed. Solaris 11 Express build
support found its way into the OOo 3.4 code line so it will most
probably build fine there as well. Of course, a Solaris 10 built binary
runs on Solaris 11 Express as well.

I can help out with Solaris x86 builds but I have no longer access to
Sparc hardware.

Heiner

--
Jens-Heiner Rechtien

Re: *Solaris support

Posted by Stephan Bergmann <st...@googlemail.com>.
On Jul 15, 2011, at 11:48 AM, Michael Stahl wrote:
> lastly, let me express my puzzlement at the surprising popularity of our Solaris port :)
>
> if there are really people who want to maintain that, then i'd suggest looking into building it with GCC instead of SunStudio, which is not currently possible, but would probably ease the maintenance burden in the long run.

GCC and Sun CC have incompatible ABIs, so at least the binary-UNO-to-C++ bridge code would need to be adapted.

-Stephan

Re: *Solaris support

Posted by Michael Stahl <ms...@openoffice.org>.
On 15.07.2011 05:20, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> It seems like the first thing for you or someone working with you to
> do is find a way to build a release on Solaris from the source code.
> Since 3.3.0 was built for both Solaris x86 and Sparc, you should be
> able to determine what it takes for that distribution (with
> integration of all of the localizations).
>
> The distributions and the source code is available
> at<http://download.services.openoffice.org/files/stable/3.3.0/>.
> Look at the src_* files at the end.  Notice the significant size of
> the source code.
>
> Rebuilding an existing stable build is the easiest way to confirm
> that you have it working.

actually usually it's a better idea to build the current development
version; especially since in contrast to OOo 3.3 we now have 2 build
systems (because we're in the middle of the migration), you really want
to know that _both_ work for your platform.

> You'll need to roam around the Developers information, including
> information about the build
> environment:<http://tools.openoffice.org/build_env.html>.  (I can't
> vouch for how current any of this is.)

don't trust anything on tools.openoffice.org; it's generally out of
date; the Wiki tends to have more current stuff, look at the Building
Guide (see Mathias' mail).

lastly, let me express my puzzlement at the surprising popularity of our
Solaris port :)

if there are really people who want to maintain that, then i'd suggest
looking into building it with GCC instead of SunStudio, which is not
currently possible, but would probably ease the maintenance burden in
the long run.

regards,
  michael

RE: *Solaris support - WAS What is the advantage of the Apache OpenOffice.org Fork?

Posted by "Pedro F. Giffuni" <gi...@tutopia.com>.
--- On Thu, 7/14/11, Dennis E. Hamilton <de...@acm.org> wrote:

> My only suggestion there is to ask around on this list for
> those who have any experience with the Solaris
> distributions, their construction and their support.
>
>  - Dennis

Just to mention the little I know about Solaris:

There is a nice repository called "Blastwave":
http://www.blastwave.org/jir/packages.fam

They carry OpenOffice 2.2.1 in just about every language.

Also, the Illumos guys are working on using NetBSD's
pkgsrc system (similar to FreeBSD ports but
multiplatform/OS).

https://www.illumos.org/projects/worsoe

cheers,

Pedro.

RE: *Solaris support - WAS What is the advantage of the Apache OpenOffice.org Fork?

Posted by Jerry Kemp <su...@oryx.cc>.
Hello Rob,

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 7:04 PM, Jerry Kemp <su...@oryx.cc> wrote:
> One of the reasons I have stuck with OO and have not looked further into
> LO was the fact that binaries were not provided for my preferred
> desktop, Solaris.  Specifically, I primarily use either OpenSolaris
> Nevada or OpenIndiana.
>
> A (more than high level but not completely extensive)  search of the LO
> web site and email archives did not yield very much regarding *Solaris
> support.
>
> My yahoo-fu turned up this, at least acknowledging its existence.
>
> http://www.libreoffice.org/welcome/readme.html
>
> However, this post paints a somewhat darker picture.
>
> http://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/discuss/msg07091.html

> Will we/Apache OO ultimately provide *Solaris binaries for download?

There are two questions embedded in this:

1) Will AOOo maintain the Solaris port?

2) Will AOOo release Solaris binaries?

I'd certainly encourage us to do #1, provided that we have volunteers
with Solaris expertise on the project to test, fix errors, etc.,
related to that port.  Are you able to help with this? Or can you help
by introducing some possible volunteers to this list?

For #2, this is something we'll need to look at when we get closer to
a release.  I suspect that we'll do a mix of the following:

1) For some platforms we'll release binaries

2) For some other platforms we'll link to binaries built and hosted by
other companies, organizations and projects

3) And we'll release a source tarball that anyone can download

Take a look at Apache Subversion for example:

http://subversion.apache.org/packages.html

Many binary ports are available, but none of them are officially from Apache,

As a project, we need to decide what we do for OpenOffice.  We could
release binaries for no platforms, all platforms, or for only some
platforms.  But we don't need to decide this quite yet.

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.
On 8 Jul 2011, at 00:04, Jerry Kemp wrote:

> One of the reasons I have stuck with OO and have not looked further into
> LO was the fact that binaries were not provided for my preferred
> desktop, Solaris.  Specifically, I primarily use either OpenSolaris
> Nevada or OpenIndiana.
>
> A (more than high level but not completely extensive)  search of the LO
> web site and email archives did not yield very much regarding *Solaris
> support.
>
> My yahoo-fu turned up this, at least acknowledging its existence.
>
> http://www.libreoffice.org/welcome/readme.html
>
> However, this post paints a somewhat darker picture.
>
> http://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/discuss/msg07091.html

Since I'm still on the Illumos advisory board, I have asked TDF about this. I was told there's no obstacle to releasing on Solaris, but there's been no-one on the team so far with the hardware, skills or time to actually build it, as Cor mentions in that latter post you cite. I've been reaching out to various potential sponsors looking for volunteers but so far I've drawn a blank. If you're willing & able to do it they'd love to hear from you. I figure the situation will be similar at Apache, since people here "scratch their own itch".

I agree with Rob that we don't have to make any decisions yet about what binaries are created, but if you know people who could do this work, now is a fine time to get them up to speed (maybe on LibreOffice to stretch their wings) so they can start work when the repo is ready :-)

Cheers

S.

Re: What is the advantage of the Apache OpenOffice.org Fork?

Posted by Jerry Kemp <su...@oryx.cc>.

Posted by "Pedro F. Giffuni" <gi...@tutopia.com>.