Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Marco Villalobos <mv...@kineteque.com> on 2021/02/02 21:14:46 UTC

Question a possible use can for Iterative Streams.

Hi everybody,

I am brainstorming how it might be possible to perform database enrichment
with the DataStream API, use keyed state for caching, and also utilize
Async IO.

Since AsyncIO does not support keyed state, then is it possible to use an
Iterative Stream that uses keyed state for caching in the main body, and
uses feedback to fetch cache misses with AsyncIO?

I hope this diagram conveys my idea.

[image: image.png]

I am thinking of leveraging an Iterative Stream in this manner, but I am
not quite sure how Iterative Steams work since the example is not clear to
me.

Re: Question regarding a possible use case for Iterative Streams.

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.
Answers inline:

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021 at 3:55 PM Marco Villalobos <mv...@kineteque.com>
wrote:

> Hi Gorden,
>
> Thank you very much for the detailed response.
>
> I considered using the state-state processor API, however, our enrichment
> requirements make the state-processor API a bit inconvenient.
> 1. if an element from the stream matches a record in the database then it
> can remain in the cache a very long time (potentially forever).
> 2. if an element from the stream does not match a record in the database
> then that miss cannot be cached a very long time because that record might
> be added to the database and we have to pick it up in a timely manner.
> 3. Our stream has many elements that lack enrichment information in the
> database.
>
> Thus, for that reason, the state processor api only really helps with
> records that already exist in the database, even though the stream has many
> records that do not exist.
>
> That is why I was brainstorming over my idea of using an iterative stream
> that uses caching in the body, but AsyncIO in a feedback loop.
>
> You mentioned "in general I think it is currently discouraged to us it
> (iterative streams)." May I ask what is your source for that statement? I
> see no mention of any discouragement in Flink's documentation.

This SO thread contains some answers, and links to some further answers:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/61710605/flink-iterations-in-data-stream-api-disadvantages

> I will look into how State Functions can help me in this scenario. I have
> not read up much on stateful functions.
>
> If I were to write a proof of concept, and my database queries were
> performed with JDBC, could I just write an embedded function that performs
> the JDBC call directly (I want to avoid changing our deployment topology
> for now) and package it with my Data Stream Job?

Yes, you can establish JDBC connections directly in Flink user functions.

Posted by Marco Villalobos <mv...@kineteque.com>.
Hi Gorden,

Re: Question a possible use can for Iterative Streams.