Posted to user@drill.apache.org by ja...@accenture.com on 2017/05/03 12:28:48 UTC

Drill query are stuck in ENQUEUED mode

Hi,

I am having queries in which I am fetching just 1 row from the parquet file using LIMIT  1, and even these queries are stuck in ENQUEUED state in DRILL.

I am using exec.queue.enable = true and have default settings for the rest.

Can you help me out in this.

Regards,
Jasbir Singh

________________________________

www.accenture.com

Re: Drill query are stuck in ENQUEUED mode

Posted by Paul Rogers <pr...@mapr.com>.
Hi All,

Looks like queues are enabled. The numbers used for the queue are cost which are only very lightly related to your row count. Cost is in what I call “planning units”: units that make sense to produce good plans, but which don’t directly map to real-world unit such as rows, memory or time.

When queuing is enabled, queries start in the Foreman in the Enqueued state. During that time, we do query planning and parallelization.

Once planning is complete, the Foreman waits on ZooKeeper to get a run slot. ZooKeeper implements a distributed semaphore. I like to think of it as a “take a number” schema like in old-time delis: Each query takes a number and starts to run when its number comes up.

If queries are stuck in the Enqueued state, it could therefore be due to either 1) planning is taking a long time, or 2) the query is waiting for its slot from ZK. A jstack will tell us which is the case.

BTW: The default queue sizes are probably too large for all but the largest clusters. You will want to adjust the numbers for your load to best make use of the cores and memory you have available.

Given your number of cores and memory, running 110 concurrent queries is probably asking too much of your hardware. Try a much smaller number: maybe 2 and 5. Remember that all queries will be parallelized to 70% of your CPU count (20 in your case) and each will launch multiple threads per CPU. Running even 7 queries, with a couple of fragments each, will cause Drill to run 7 * 2 * 20 = 280 threads on your 24 cores which may still be too large.

So, it may be that the reason queries are stuck in Enqueued state is that your cluster is overloaded: queries are competing for resources, running slowly and blocking incoming queries.

- Paul

Posted by Kunal Khatua <kk...@mapr.com>.
What does the jstack command (located in the same dir as the java executable) say when a query is hung?

Also, what is the JStack when the Drillbit is running with the exec.queue.enable=FALSE ?

Posted by ja...@accenture.com.

Posted by Kunal Khatua <kk...@mapr.com>.
You could try experimenting with these parameters:

https://drill.apache.org/docs/enabling-query-queuing/ when you have Queuing enabled.

For this, you first need to know what is the query ID (the part that follows the "http://hostname:8047/profiles/" part of the query's web UI page). Use that as a reference to identify the corresponding threads.

www.mapr.com<http://www.mapr.com/>