Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by CHILUKA BHARATH <ch...@gmail.com> on 2023/07/12 09:08:23 UTC

Update javax libs to Jakarta libs in Apache Taglibs.

Hi Team,

The latest Apache Taglibs(
https://tomcat.apache.org/download-taglibs.cgi#Standard-1.2.5) jar classes
using javax.servlet.* packages.

Do we have any information w.r.t supporting Jakarta when using this
specific jar ?

If not, is there any plan to release new jars by migrating javax references
to jakarta in Apache Taglibs ?.

Thanks,
Bharath.

Re: Update javax libs to Jakarta libs in Apache Taglibs.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

On 7/13/23 08:08, Mark Thomas wrote:
> 12 Jul 2023 11:08:23 CHILUKA BHARATH <ch...@gmail.com>:
>
>> Hi Team,
>>
>> The latest Apache Taglibs(
>> https://tomcat.apache.org/download-taglibs.cgi#Standard-1.2.5) jar
>> classes
>> using javax.servlet.* packages.
>>
>> Do we have any information w.r.t supporting Jakarta when using this
>> specific jar ?
>>
>> If not, is there any plan to release new jars by migrating javax
>> references
>> to jakarta in Apache Taglibs ?.
>
> Just run them through the Tomcat migration tool for Jakarta EE. Tomcat
> 10 did that for the examples web application.
>
> No plans I am aware of for a new release.

While this will indeed work, I think it's reasonable for the Tomcat team
to produce an official release which supports Jakarta EE... but only if
it's a project that we really want to continue to support.

As Thomas points-out, Glassfish has their own JSTL implementation and I
think probably most people already use that.

Is it time to retire Tomcat JSTL? I think we should make a decision one
way or the other and then take proper action. That either means moving
Tomcat-taglibs to the Attic or producing a new version for the Jakarta
EE era.

There are far too many OSS projects out there saying "yeah Jakarta EE is
coming but nobody is using it yet so we won't bother to release a
compatible library until adoption is up." The the trick is that adoption
is slow precisely because all these dependencies won't move first.

-chris

Re: Update javax libs to Jakarta libs in Apache Taglibs.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
12 Jul 2023 11:08:23 CHILUKA BHARATH <ch...@gmail.com>:

> Hi Team,
>
> The latest Apache Taglibs(
> https://tomcat.apache.org/download-taglibs.cgi#Standard-1.2.5) jar
> classes
> using javax.servlet.* packages.
>
> Do we have any information w.r.t supporting Jakarta when using this
> specific jar ?
>
> If not, is there any plan to release new jars by migrating javax
> references
> to jakarta in Apache Taglibs ?.

Just run them through the Tomcat migration tool for Jakarta EE. Tomcat 10
did that for the examples web application.

No plans I am aware of for a new release.

Mark

AW: Update javax libs to Jakarta libs in Apache Taglibs.

Posted by "Thomas Hoffmann (Speed4Trade GmbH)" <Th...@speed4trade.com.INVALID>.
Hello Bharath,

This package uses jakarta:
https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/jakarta.servlet.jsp.jstl/jakarta.servlet.jsp.jstl-api
The implementation is for example:
https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.glassfish.web/jakarta.servlet.jsp.jstl

Greetings,
Thomas

Re: Update javax libs to Jakarta libs in Apache Taglibs.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Bharath,

On 7/12/23 05:08, CHILUKA BHARATH wrote:
> The latest Apache Taglibs(
> https://tomcat.apache.org/download-taglibs.cgi#Standard-1.2.5) jar classes
> using javax.servlet.* packages.
>
> Do we have any information w.r.t supporting Jakarta when using this
> specific jar ?
>
> If not, is there any plan to release new jars by migrating javax references
> to jakarta in Apache Taglibs ?.

This is a very good question.

 From what I can tell, the latest release of taglibs (1.2.5) was