Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Andy LoPresto <al...@gmail.com> on 2016/11/26 01:04:58 UTC

Re: nar install in Nifi

No, because of the class loading and general lack of Java hot swap capability, to add or replace NAR files, the application must be restarted.

Is your prohibition on restarting the app due to the need for "100%" uptime or a different reason? If you deploy a cluster, you can do a rolling update where one node is stopped, the NAR deployed there, and then restarted and move across your cluster repeating this process. You will still have functioning nodes that cover the entire process.

If the prohibition is just against restarting NiFi at all, I'm not sure how you will do security updates or bug fixes, but you can still deploy new functionality by using the ExecuteScript or InvokeScriptedProcessor components, or invoking Java classes via the command line and ExecuteStreamCommand or ExecuteProcess components.

Andy LoPresto
alopresto@apache.org
alopresto.apache@gmail.com

Re: nar install in Nifi

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
As we progress the extension registry concept we will provide for
versioned components which will also mean we can have multiple
versions of the same component on the same flow at the same time.  In
this case we can do a pretty nice live loading of new capabilities
since it totally side steps the issue of actual hot swapping.

Although to Andy's point there are times when you definitely want a
real restart of a node and you can still get the always on uptime
effect with rolling upgrades of a cluster.

Thanks
Joe