Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Paul Andreas Petershagen <pp...@offix.de> on 2002/09/08 23:17:59 UTC

Restart webapp after Exception

Hi,

I have a problem with a webapp application. It produces sometimes a
java.lang.OutOfMemory error and Tomcat is going to
shut it down like this:

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
Stopping service Tomcat-Standalone
Exception during startup processing
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
Apache Tomcat/4.0.4-b3

After this, the webapp wasn't available any more. I had to stop and start
Tomcat by myself.
What can I do to get Tomcat restart correctly?

I set the JVM head size to bigger values but what if this doesn't help? How
can I guarantee a running / stable system?

Thanks in advance,

	Paul

Re: Restart webapp after Exception

Posted by Kwok Peng Tuck <pe...@makmal.com>.
Maybe you should first try and figure out why it's running out of
memory? Maybe it has to do with the jsp and servlets that are being use
? If you set your heap to a large value, that won't necessarily solve
your problems it might just cure the symptoms.

Posted by pp...@offix.de.

Zitiere Andy Eastham <an...@gliant.com>:

> Paul,
>
> I'm afraid it looks like you have to write code that doesn't eat all
> the
> memory on the server ;-)
>
> Andy

This isn't possible because we are using foreign components. There is a cache
system eating a lot of memory which we can't change/modify!

Do anyone else has a solution?

Thanks, Paul

Posted by Andy Eastham <an...@gliant.com>.
Paul,