Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2008/06/11 16:25:55 UTC

Re: Class template or format

András wrote:

> I'm making a new tool, policytool (as my GSoC2008 project).  Is there
> a class template available for this or I can just use the format of
> the existing classes?
> For example the copyright comments at the beginning of all classes?

(Aside: In line with ASF policy, they are license comments rather than a
copyright comments.  Copyright details are in NOTICE files.)

There isn't a template.  Try to use 4-character indentation and no tabs
and obviously include the header.

For the org.apache.harmony.tools.policytool.Main class you
might want to start from one of the existing tools in the
working_jdktools/modules/tools/src/main/java/org/apache/harmony/tools
directory of the federated build.

Regards,
 Mark.

Re: Class template or format

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Mark Hindess wrote:
> András wrote:
>> I'm making a new tool, policytool (as my GSoC2008 project).  Is there
>> a class template available for this or I can just use the format of
>> the existing classes?
>> For example the copyright comments at the beginning of all classes?
>
> (Aside: In line with ASF policy, they are license comments rather than a
> copyright comments.  Copyright details are in NOTICE files.)

Yep, just copy the standard header from any existing source file.  It's
also given here [1].

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers

> There isn't a template.  Try to use 4-character indentation and no tabs
> and obviously include the header.

For code layout/formatting we generally use the Sun guidelines for Java
code.  If you use Eclipse you can simply format it using the built-in
formatting rules with one modification, namely use four spaces instead
of one tab indentations.

Regards,
Tim