Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Satya <sa...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/06 22:51:41 UTC

[users@httpd] http error log

hi,
we are using the Apache httpd for development. One issue we are facing
is that the http server writes out an error_log that only root can
read. Our developers need to be able to read this file to figure out
their CGI bugs.

We currently manage this by manually setting the permissions (chmod),
but this has to be done every time we restart the server. How do I
make Apache write out files with rw-r--r-- permissions?

thanks,
satya.

Re: [users@httpd] http error log

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 9/6/07, Satya <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
> we are using the Apache httpd for development. One issue we are facing
> is that the http server writes out an error_log that only root can
> read. Our developers need to be able to read this file to figure out
> their CGI bugs.
>
> We currently manage this by manually setting the permissions (chmod),
> but this has to be done every time we restart the server. How do I
> make Apache write out files with rw-r--r-- permissions?

My understanding (without verifying myself) is that all you need to do
is properly set the umask under which you start the server.

Joshua.

RE: [users@httpd] http error log

Posted by Jeff Beard <je...@cyberxape.com>.
Howdy,

In the past when I've had shared development environments, I've set
environment up so that each developer has their own custom httpd.conf that
listens on a non-privileged port like 8080 and logs to their home directory.
We'd all use the same binary but would run our own instances. This was
typically wrapped up in a build of some sort so that a build, deploy, run
and test cycle could be encapsulated in a single command.

These days I don't use a shared development environment at all since apache
runs on any platform and we have robust, free virtualization tools if we
need to develop on specific platforms.

Regards,

Jeff