Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Frederik Arnold <ar...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/22 12:20:59 UTC

Securing Solr 5.0.0

I followed the "Taking Solr to Production" tutorial and I now have an
solr 5.0.0 instance up and running.

What is the recommended way for securing solr?
Searching should be available for everyone but I want authentication for
the Solr Admin UI and also for posting and deleting files.

Re: Securing Solr 5.0.0

Posted by Frederik Arnold <ar...@gmail.com>.
Sure!

You have to install mod_proxy for Apache and activate it.

And then I put a file with the following content in /etc/apache2/conf.d:
ProxyRequests Off
ProxyPreserveHost Off

<Proxy *>
    AddDefaultCharset off
    Order deny,allow
    Allow from all
</Proxy>

ProxyPass /solrsearch http://localhost:8983/solr/solr/select
ProxyPassReverse /solrsearch http://localhost:8983/solr/solr/select

And then I blocked port 8983, allowing only connections from localhost,
using the following commands:
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -s localhost --dport 8983 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 8983 -j DROP

And then you need to make sure that the changes persist when restarting
the server.
And that's it.

Re: Securing Solr 5.0.0

Posted by davidphilip cherian <da...@gmail.com>.