Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2018/07/03 11:08:25 UTC

Update on EthetNet/IP Driver

Hi all,

I just wanted to give you an update on my progress on the EtherNet/IP protocol.
It turns out that using the “digitalpetri” drivers works like a charm. But it also turns out that implementing a PLC4X adapter with a given driver is not that trivial.
Right now I’m reading the EtherNet/IP spec in parallel in order to know what I have to do when, how and in which order. But I’m making quite good progress :-)
I did have to issue a Pull-Request for the driver though as one important command was not implemented.
Let’s see how fast we are able to get a release with those changes in them.

But one thing I did learn this way, is that even if we lose some of the functionality when not using the native protocol API,
it does dramatically simplify writing software for a PLC without understanding the essentials of the protocol used to access the device.

Hopefully I’ll manage to get the EtherNet/IP protocol working this week.

Chris