Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Leon Chaddock <le...@macranet.co.uk> on 2006/01/30 13:04:41 UTC

Related searches

Hi,
Does anyone know if it is possible to show related searches with lucene, for example if someone searched for "car insurance" you could bring back the results and related searches like these

Automobile Insurance
Car Insurance Quote
Car Insurance Quotes
Auto Insurance
Cheap Car Insurance
Car Insurance Company
Car Insurance Companies
Health Insurance
Car Insurance Rates
Car Insurance Rate
Car Insurance Rental
Insurance Quote
Online Car Insurance Quote
Home Insurance

Thanks

Leon

Re: Related searches

Posted by xing jiang <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hi, I got a question of doing the related search.

For instance, if I want to say "Support Vector Machine" == "SVM". Then, How
can i use this information when retrieve documents. I dont think it can be
added in the Synonym Filter.

On 2/1/06, Dave Kor <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/30/06, Leon Chaddock <le...@macranet.co.uk> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Does anyone know if it is possible to show related searches with lucene,
> for example if
> > someone searched for "car insurance" you could bring back the results
> and related
> > searches like these
>
> One possible way is to use the vector space model on the set of
> relevant documents returned by each query.
>
> For example,
> Relevant documents for the query "car insurance" are docids 1, 2, 4, 9,
> 10.
> Relevant documents for the query "automobile insurance" are docids 2,
> 4, 8, 9, 10.
> Relevant documents for the query "life insurance" are docids 3, 5, 7, 9.
>
> Here, "automobile insurance" will be scored as more similar to "car
> insurance" than "life insurance" because there is a larger set of
> overlapping docids.
>
> Lucene can be adapted for this purpose by creating a second index that
> stores all unique queries and their set of relevant docids as Lucene
> Documents. Instead of indexing text terms, we index docids. Finding
> queries similiar to the original query, Q, is a simple matter of
> querying this second index with the set of docids relevent to query Q.
>
> Hope this helps.
>

> --
> Dave Kor, Research Assistant
> Center for Information Mining and Extraction
> School of Computing
> National University of Singapore.

Regards

Jiang Xing

Re: Related searches

Posted by Dave Kor <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Related searches

Posted by Rajesh Munavalli <fi...@gmail.com>.
I would suggest you to look at papers on local/global document analysis. One
of the approach is to get a set of terms which co-occur with the query term
say "insurance". From the initial query they select the top 'N' documents
and compute the co-occurrence of other terms (usually those having high TF)
with query terms. The intution is that words co-occurring are related.

      Google for "local global document analysis" and "word co-occurrence
similarity"

Rajesh Munavalli

Re: Related searches

Posted by Hemant Joshi <he...@gmail.com>.
Have you considered using bi-grams and tri-grams? It might be useful
indexing with NgramFilter and then searching for N-grams through the text.
You could also count the number of times a particular document consists of
"Car Insurance Rate" for term-frequency etc.
-Hemant

Re: Related searches

Posted by Rajesh Munavalli <fi...@gmail.com>.
A word of caution in using synonyms alone
(1) Would not be able to suggest terms like "home", "cheap", "company",
which are not synonyms of either of the terms "car", "insurance"
(2) Would probably suggest terms like "machine" and "indemnity" (actual
synonyms for "car" and "insurance" retrieved from WordNet).

--
Rajesh Munavalli

AW: Related searches

Posted by Klaus <kl...@vommond.de>.