Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> on 2008/10/20 20:08:48 UTC

Re: [RFC] UI to show a summary of problems after merge etc. (incl. tree conflicts)

Julian Foad wrote on Mon, 20 Oct 2008 at 15:46 +0100:
> [[[
> $ svn st
> C       A/D/G
> ?     C A/D/G/rho
> D     C A/D/G/pi
>
> $ svn st --conflicts)
> ? C (D>M) A/D/G/rho
> D C (M>D) A/D/G/pi
> ]]]

What additional information does the 'C' column provide?  (It's already
clear that a node is in tree conflict because it has the little arrow.)

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 16:35 +0200, Neels J. Hofmeyr wrote:

> Julian Foad wrote:

> Wow, I didn't actually know we have this! That's very nice.

> >> What additional information does the 'C' column provide?  (It's already
> >> clear that a node is in tree conflict because it has the little arrow.)
> >
> > In this case, it doesn't provide more info. The idea is that the first
> > three colums repeat the "Text status, Prop status, Tree conflict status"
> > fields from a normal "svn status", and then the part in parentheses
> > gives more info.
> >
> > Maybe the tree-conflict 'C' column is redundant, or maybe in the general
> > case where different kinds of conflict shown it would be useful.
> >
> > - Julian

> What would normal conflicts look like? Let's have a mixed example:
>

> $ svn st --conflicts
> C         A/D/zeta
> ? C (D>M) A/D/G/rho
> D C (M>D) A/D/G/pi
>  C        A/D/G
>
> Well, it looks like the third C is really redundant, since tree-conflicts
> have the whole bracket thing while others don't.
>
> How about compressing it to this, gaining four columns of space for path
> strings:
>
> $ svn st --conflicts
> C     A/D/zeta
> ? D>M A/D/G/rho
> D M>D A/D/G/pi
>  C    A/D/G

See my other reply just now in this thread.

> Btw, isn't this one the wrong way around:
>
> ? D>M A/D/G/rho
>
> The ? says rho is unversioned (?), so I guess the D took place in the local
> working copy. I guess, `update' wanted to modify it. So shouldn't that be
> M>D?

No, that's an incoming Delete onto a local Modification, shown as local
state '?' because... I dunno, this is probably a broken example. It's
just printing what the callback says, but maybe the meanings aren't what
they seem.

>  Then again, what's this:
>
> D M>D A/D/G/pi

This one's scheduled for deletion, and there's an incoming modification
that we can't apply. Looks fine to me.

- Julian

Re: [RFC] UI to show a summary of problems after merge etc. (incl. tree conflicts)

Posted by "Neels J. Hofmeyr" <ne...@elego.de>.

Julian Foad wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 22:08 +0200, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
>> Julian Foad wrote on Mon, 20 Oct 2008 at 15:46 +0100:
>>> [[[
>>> $ svn st
>>> C       A/D/G
>>> ?     C A/D/G/rho
>>> D     C A/D/G/pi
>>>
>>> $ svn st --conflicts)
>>> ? C (D>M) A/D/G/rho
>>> D C (M>D) A/D/G/pi

Wow, I didn't actually know we have this! That's very nice.

>>> ]]]
>>>
>> What additional information does the 'C' column provide?  (It's already
>> clear that a node is in tree conflict because it has the little arrow.)
>
> In this case, it doesn't provide more info. The idea is that the first
> three colums repeat the "Text status, Prop status, Tree conflict status"
> fields from a normal "svn status", and then the part in parentheses
> gives more info.
>
> Maybe the tree-conflict 'C' column is redundant, or maybe in the general
> case where different kinds of conflict shown it would be useful.
>
> - Julian
>

>>> Here, "(D>M)" means "an incoming Delete onto an existing Modified node".
>>>
>>> In this patch, this indication is coded on the assumption that it's a
>>> tree conflict, but I feel the command ought to show all kinds of problem
>>> mentioned above.

What would normal conflicts look like? Let's have a mixed example:

$ svn st --conflicts
C         A/D/zeta
? C (D>M) A/D/G/rho
D C (M>D) A/D/G/pi
 C        A/D/G

Well, it looks like the third C is really redundant, since tree-conflicts
have the whole bracket thing while others don't.

How about compressing it to this, gaining four columns of space for path
strings:

$ svn st --conflicts
C     A/D/zeta
? D>M A/D/G/rho
D M>D A/D/G/pi
 C    A/D/G

Btw, isn't this one the wrong way around:

? D>M A/D/G/rho

The ? says rho is unversioned (?), so I guess the D took place in the local
working copy. I guess, `update' wanted to modify it. So shouldn't that be
M>D? Then again, what's this:

D M>D A/D/G/pi

Why am I not getting this...

--
Neels Hofmeyr -- elego Software Solutions GmbH
phone: +49 30 23458696  mobile: +49 177 2345869  fax: +49 30 23458695

Re: [RFC] UI to show a summary of problems after merge etc. (incl. tree conflicts)

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.