Posted to dev@trafodion.apache.org by Roberta Marton <ro...@esgyn.com> on 2015/11/03 20:06:53 UTC

[DISCUSS] Apache Trafodion release 1.3.0 ready for release

The first build for Apache Trafodion (incubating) is available for your
enjoyment.

Many thanks to everyone who has contributed to this release.

For changes included in the release, please see the release notes:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=61326700

The release artifacts can be downloaded from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/trafodion directory
apache-trafodion-1.3.0-incubating

The artifacts are based on git repository:
git@github.com:apache/incubator-trafodion with tag 1.3.0rc1

Instructions on how to build and run Apache Trafodion are described:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TRAFODION/Using+the+Software#UsingtheSoftware-Download,build,andinstallTrafodionusingsourcetarfileonApachedistributionsite,
please note that this describes downloading from the release directory.
The artifacts are currently in the staging area described above.

Take a few hours to try out the release and return feedback.

A follow-up email will be sent out in a few days asking for a vote.

Once the release is approved, a request to IPMC asking for approval will
follow

Once the IPMC approves, the artifacts will be copied to the official
release directory and the release will be complete.

    Regards,

    Roberta

RE: [DISCUSS] Apache Trafodion release 1.3.0 ready for release

Posted by Roberta Marton <ro...@esgyn.com>.
Thanks Suresh for doing this exercise.

1 - I will remove the confusing HEADER file.  Stack had added when he
initially set up the site but most of the incubator sites don't use it.
2 - Added a link on the build page that discusses how to change ulimits
3 - Added a comment on the wiki site that this is a debug build.
4 - Added a sentence to try rerunning make in case the build fails to the
wiki page.
5 - Instructions to verify files - note, it looks like the .sha file is
incorrect.  Will need to replace it with the correct version.

Download the .asc, .md4, and .sha file to the same directory as the
Trafodion source file.

Verify .asc file:

- gpg apache-trafodion-1.3.0-incubating-src.tar.gz.asc
- extract the  keyID which should be A44C5A05
- gpg --keyserver pgpkeys.mit.edu --recv-key A44C5A05
- gpg --verify apache-trafodion-1.3.0-incubating-src.tar.gz.asc

This is as far as we can go until we get into the web of trust.

Verify .md4 file:  md5sum -c
apache-trafodion-1.3.0-incubating-src.tar.gz.md5

Verify .sha file:   sha1sum -c
apache-trafodion-1.3.0-incubating-src.tar.gz.sha

  Roberta

Posted by Hans Zeller <ha...@esgyn.com>.
Hi,

Just wanted to mention that I also followed the instructions, using a cloud
VM, and they worked fine for me. I already had some of the tools in
$TOOLSDIR built, so didn't repeat that part.

Hans

Posted by Suresh Subbiah <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi Roberta and team,

Posted by Dave Birdsall <da...@esgyn.com>.
Hi,

Fixing the build errors is a good thing, and rebuilding the release is a
good thing, and I am in favor of it.

Just a comment on decisions: It's best if we call something a "decision"
only if it has been made in public.

For the benefit of readers on this list, several folks (myself, Suresh
Subbiah, Gunnar Tapper, Hans Zeller and possibly others) downloaded the last
Trafodion 1.3.0 build into various environments and tried builds. Some of us
documented our results in this DISCUSS thread. I am guilty of not
documenting mine, so I'll recap here:

Most of my issues centered around my relative lack of experience in Linux
administration skills. I had silly problems with ssh keys and ulimits. Once
I got over that learning curve, I encountered two problems with the build.

One was that the version of Maven installed on my particular VM was version
3.3.3, while the sqenvcom.sh script was looking for a version of 3.0.5
instead. Putting the 3.3.3 mvn executable into my PATH variable worked
around that problem.

The other problem I had was that the build was creating hbase-trx jar files
for several distributions. One of them, MapR, was hanging up on repository
access. Rerunning the build at a later time got around that. As it happens,
MapR doesn't work with Trafodion at the moment due to Trafodion's use of
HBase Coprocessors. So, this particular build step was unnecessary.

Others of us ran into these problems as well (though most of the others are
more skilled at Linux administrators than I am, so they got through it
quicker).

The five of us (the four listed above + Roberta Marton) had a telephone
conference and concluded that these issues would make for a bad build
experience for Trafodion 1.3.0 users. Hence, Roberta's suggestion that we
fix those two problems and do another build. Two JIRAs were filed,
TRAFODION-1612 and TRAFODION-1613 to cover these issues. (Thanks to Hans and
Roberta). Roberta has since submitted a fix for both of these which I
believe she merged into the 1.3.0 branch yesterday.

Dave