Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at> on 2014/10/03 00:26:37 UTC

Re: Another beta?

Hi,

I agree, doing the final before ApacheCon would be nice.

It seems we are currently not fixing all that many issues. So I think
we can only include major blockers that really would void a release, I
think the function-handling changes seem to not cause much regressions
so we are not that far away from a release.

Do we have a way of identifying issues in bugzilla which are blocking
the release so we know what we should concentrate on?

Thanks... Dominik.

Re: Another beta?

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.
On Fri, 3 Oct 2014, Dominik Stadler wrote:
> Do we have a way of identifying issues in bugzilla which are blocking
> the release so we know what we should concentrate on?

The issue that's critical for you may not be critical for me, because
there are so many different use-cases for Apache POI!

>From my perspective, the most important bugs are the ones with patches
contributed by the community. With the fairly limited number of committers
we have on the project, it isn't possible to fully support the whole
codebase on our own. Our only hope for supporting everything is to rely on
our wider community of users, contributors, testers etc to do much of the
work.

That wider community will only bother contributing fixes / patches /
documentation enhancements etc if we accept their contributions in a
timely manner. If they submit something and we all ignore it, they're
unlikely to stick around helping with anything else. Thus, in the long
term interestings of the project, the most critical issues are the ones
our community is trying to contribute towards!

Well, anything the community helps with, and anything that $DAYJOB cares
about that is ;-)

Nick