Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Alex Kiesel <al...@kiesel.name> on 2006/03/25 09:51:02 UTC

svn cleanup performance

Hi all,

(I've searched the archives but was unable to find an answer or
discussion on this)

we've got an svn repository with ~70000 files and directories. Updating
it on a daily basis takes a long time (so I've put that into a cron).
However, occasionally, errors occur and I have to svn cleanup.

I noticed that `svn cleanup` at the root of the repository takes
_really_ long time (more than 30 minutes) and eats up up to 200 MB of
RAM.

Is there any way to tweak this, to make it faster and/or slimmer (apart
from making sure only to work on smaller sub-trees of the repo)? I
assume this is server-independent; my box is a FreeBSD box, but it also
occurs on various Linux boxes.

Regards,
-Alex

Re: svn cleanup performance

Posted by Alex Kiesel <al...@kiesel.name>.
On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 14:59 +0100, Alex Kiesel wrote:
> > 7000 files is one thing. How big is the repository in disk size? And are
> > most of the files in one directory? Linux ext2 or ext3 filesystems before
> > the 2.6 kernel would take quite some time to deal with many thousands of
> > files in one directory, for example.
>
> Disk size of the repo is %%% GB. There are no directories with really
                           ^^^ = 1.8 GB on the client

Sorry :)
-Alex

Re: svn cleanup performance

Posted by Alex Kiesel <al...@kiesel.name>.
On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 12:39 -0500, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> > I need a cleanup on root because I do an (interrupted) update on root...
> > Our layout requires having the complete repo checked out, at least for
> > those that want to maintain release branches.
>
> Obviously I don't know your requirements, but this would be very
> unusual.   I can see a branch maintainer might want both the trunk and
> the branch checked out, but you should think about whether they really
> need every other branch and every tag as well.

I can elaborate on why I chose this setup if you like, but I think it's
actually not really related to the problem here.

> If you can reduce the size of your checkouts by a large factor, I think
> you'll find everything goes faster.

I agree that the long cleanup time is directly related to the vast
number of files. So, is this a "limitation" of subversion (it's not
really a limitation, because it still can handle the repository - but it
takes it time).

Also, does someone know why the cleanup takes up so much memory?

Regards,
-Alex

Re: svn cleanup performance

Posted by Duncan Murdoch <mu...@stats.uwo.ca>.
On 3/25/2006 10:16 AM, Alex Kiesel wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 09:57 -0500, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>>> Disk size of the repo is %%% GB. There are no directories with really
>>> many files, the maximum is probably 100 files per dir.
>>> One reason the repo grew so big was that when converting from CVS, all
>>> tags became real directories, and as we had many tags, the number of
>>> files was multiplied.
>> Why would you be doing a cleanup on the root?  You shouldn't normally
>> have the root checked out in the usual trunk/branches/tags structure,
>> you just check out one of (or maybe a few of) the trunk, a branch, or a
>> tag.
>
> I need a cleanup on root because I do an (interrupted) update on root...
> Our layout requires having the complete repo checked out, at least for
> those that want to maintain release branches.

Obviously I don't know your requirements, but this would be very
unusual.   I can see a branch maintainer might want both the trunk and
the branch checked out, but you should think about whether they really
need every other branch and every tag as well.

If you can reduce the size of your checkouts by a large factor, I think
you'll find everything goes faster.

Duncan Murdoch

Re: svn cleanup performance

Posted by Alex Kiesel <al...@kiesel.name>.

Re: svn cleanup performance

Posted by Duncan Murdoch <mu...@stats.uwo.ca>.

Re: svn cleanup performance

Posted by Alex Kiesel <al...@kiesel.name>.

Re: svn cleanup performance

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.

Re: svn cleanup performance

Posted by Miha Vitorovic <mv...@nil.si>.
Alex Kiesel <al...@kiesel.name> wrote on 28.03.2006 14:14:58:

> On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 08:51 +0200, Miha Vitorovic wrote:
> >
> > Create an empty folder in your repository (named 'EMPTY', or something

> > like that), and then in your WC 'svn switch' all those folders that
you do
> > not need to point to 'EMPTY'. For many folder it may take a while, but

> > after that your update should run much faster.
>
> Hi,
>
> sounds interesting. I can't find the thread, do you have the subject or
> a link?

I used the haxx.se to search the lists. The thread that explained the
empty-dir is this one:

http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2005-11/0451.shtml

http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2005-11/0452.shtml

I couldn't find the more recent one.

Cheers,
---
  Miha Vitorovic
  Inženir v tehničnem področju
  Customer Support Engineer

   NIL Data Communications,  Tivolska cesta 48,  1000 Ljubljana,  Slovenia
   Phone +386 1 4746 500      Fax +386 1 4746 501     http://www.NIL.si

Re: svn cleanup performance

Posted by Alex Kiesel <al...@kiesel.name>.
On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 08:51 +0200, Miha Vitorovic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you really feel you need to have entire repository checked out, you may
> also use the GCC trick (which was mentioned in another thread recently):
>
> Create an empty folder in your repository (named 'EMPTY', or something
> like that), and then in your WC 'svn switch' all those folders that you do
> not need to point to 'EMPTY'. For many folder it may take a while, but
> after that your update should run much faster.

Hi,

sounds interesting. I can't find the thread, do you have the subject or
a link?

Thanks,
-Alex

Re: svn cleanup performance

Posted by Miha Vitorovic <mv...@nil.si>.

Re: svn cleanup performance

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: svn cleanup performance

Posted by Alex Kiesel <al...@kiesel.name>.
On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 19:11 +0100, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> > 3. I think it would be more efficient if you ran clean up, maybe
> > just once a week, instead of, every night?
>
> I think you shouldn't have to run svn cleanup ever. It's only ever
> useful if Subversion tells you to run it, and the only reason it
> would tell you that is if something is broken, as in you were using
> svn and it crashed or encountered an unexpected error and left the
> working copy in an inconsistent state. So why is Alex running into
> the need to run svn cleanup so often? That's the problem we should be
> fixing.

Hi,

it never occurs that the repository gets "wedged" on it's own. It's
usually a user interrupting the client by Ctrl-C when updating. It's
also not the case that this occurs very often; but when it does, it
takes soo long to clean up.

Regards,
-Alex

Re: svn cleanup performance

Posted by Res Pons <po...@hotmail.com>.
Having worked for so many major corporations and being a user of ClearCase,
this is how I and many of my colleagues have always set up a Repository: On
its own dedicated server. It's not a law or mandate; it's just better
practice.

It makes it easy to troubleshoot and you don't have make a million guesses
as to what caused a problem as for many many applications you mentioned you
serve from your repo server.  Except needing Apache to supervise and
authenticate access, I am very strict with my Subversion Server.  However,
some of the applications you mentioned are part of the Linux pckg anyway, so
I don't see any harm but when you got a lot of non-SVN usres logged in to
that server, you maybe slowing down or sacrificing your SVN users,
especially when many users, including myself have posted here as to why SVN
is so slow.  I have 10,000 files in one of the projects in my repo and it
takes a full 25-35 minutes to do a complete fresh check out.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

RE: svn cleanup performance

Posted by Res Pons <po...@hotmail.com>.
I just wanna make couple of points EVEN IF some of you are already aware of
them:

1.  A respository should always have its own dedicated server and nothing
else should be served from that server.

2. Not that the disk space matters, so do the number of files or the *nix
inode limitatios.  I don't know the exact number but recently we maxed the
number of files/inodes on a production/live server and surpassed 2.6 million
files and that brought our live server to a screeching halt and I had to
scram and delete about 20% of old outdated stuff to get the server back
online.