Posted to user@bigtop.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> on 2012/06/30 08:19:03 UTC

[VOTE] Release Bigtop version 0.4.0 RC1

This is the fourth release for Apache Bigtop (incubating), version 0.4.0 RC1

It fixes the following issues:
 https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=12318889&styleName=Html&projectId=12311420

*** Please download, test and vote by Tue 07/03 noon PST

Note that we are voting upon the source (tag)

Source and binary files:
  http://people.apache.org/~rvs/bigtop-0.4.0-incubating-RC1

Maven staging repo:
  https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachebigtop-294

The tag to be voted upon:
  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/bigtop/tags/release-0.4.0-incubating-RC1

Bigtop's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/bigtop/dist/KEYS

Re: [VOTE] Release Bigtop version 0.4.0 RC1

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 11:19 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> wrote:
> This is the fourth release for Apache Bigtop (incubating), version 0.4.0 RC1
>
> It fixes the following issues:
>  https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=12318889&styleName=Html&projectId=12311420
>
> *** Please download, test and vote by Tue 07/03 noon PST

+1

I downloaded the source artifacts, verified the md5/sha/asc, built the
packages on all the supported platforms and ran package tests. The
binary artifacts of the build are available here:
   http://bigtop01.cloudera.org:8080/view/Releases/job/Bigtop-0.4.0/
which you can install by following the usual Bigtop binary installation
instructions:
   https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP/How+to+install+Hadoop+distribution+from+Bigtop+0.4.0+RC1
but of course, you'll have to get your repo/list files from here:
    http://bigtop01.cloudera.org:8080/view/Releases/job/Bigtop-0.4.0/label=sles11/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/output/
    http://bigtop01.cloudera.org:8080/view/Releases/job/Bigtop-0.4.0/label=centos5/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/output/
    http://bigtop01.cloudera.org:8080/view/Releases/job/Bigtop-0.4.0/label=centos6/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/output/
    http://bigtop01.cloudera.org:8080/view/Releases/job/Bigtop-0.4.0/label=fedora17/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/output/
    http://bigtop01.cloudera.org:8080/view/Releases/job/Bigtop-0.4.0/label=lucid/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/output/
    http://bigtop01.cloudera.org:8080/view/Releases/job/Bigtop-0.4.0/label=precise/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/output/

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [VOTE] Release Bigtop version 0.4.0 RC1

Posted by Lars George <la...@gmail.com>.
+1 on rolling a 0.94.1 in BigTops favor.

Posted by Lars George <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
HBase devs,

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
HBase devs,

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 9:00 PM, Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org> wrote:
> Either way I am fine. It depends more on your schedule.
>
> And as you noted, we must ensure that Apache HBase 0.94.1 as it is would
> work with Apache Hadoop.
> I will also do some testing on my side and report back.

Well, it sounds like the consensus here is to wait for 0.94.1. To that
effect, I have reopened:

And I'm about to introduce a dependency on the 0.94.1 bits
by hooking up to the github.com again. I would really appreciate
if we can all start testing these bits now, so we don't have to
deal with the same crisis one it gets released.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [VOTE] Release Bigtop version 0.4.0 RC1

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.
On 07/02/2012 08:40 AM, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 12:26 AM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:
>> Lars Hofhansl has started making the motions around making an hbase
>> 0.94.1RC but if all goes well and the first RC passes, we are talking
>> at least a good week or two?  Is that too much?
>
> I see. In that case, to make it easier on all parties involved, how about
> if we push forward with Bigtop 0.4.0 based on HBase 0.92.1 (I tried
> it just now and it seems to work just fine) and quickly follow up
> with Bigtop 0.4.1 once the HBase 0.94.1 gets releases on its own
> schedule?
>
> I can prepare the bits today and we can call it Bigtop 0.4.0 RC2.
>
> Please let me know.
>
> Thanks,
> Roman.
>
> P.S. Of course, it'll be of paramount importance to us to validate 0.94.1RC
> candidates in the meantime.

Either way I am fine. It depends more on your schedule.

And as you noted, we must ensure that Apache HBase 0.94.1 as it is would
work with Apache Hadoop.
I will also do some testing on my side and report back.

Thanks,
Bruno

Re: [VOTE] Release Bigtop version 0.4.0 RC1

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 7:23 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> wrote:
> what's the rush with 0.4? 0,94.1 is a better piece and our users would benefit
> from it. Two weeks solve nothing, reallty.

Two weeks was if all goes without mishap, rare in my experience.

That said, LarsH is trying to put up a 0.94.1RC... maybe it'll show up soon.

St.Ack

Re: [VOTE] Release Bigtop version 0.4.0 RC1

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
what's the rush with 0.4? 0,94.1 is a better piece and our users would benefit
from it. Two weeks solve nothing, reallty.

I am for waiting.
Cos

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 8:40 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 12:26 AM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:
>> Lars Hofhansl has started making the motions around making an hbase
>> 0.94.1RC but if all goes well and the first RC passes, we are talking
>> at least a good week or two?  Is that too much?
>
> I see. In that case, to make it easier on all parties involved, how about
> if we push forward with Bigtop 0.4.0 based on HBase 0.92.1 (I tried
> it just now and it seems to work just fine) and quickly follow up
> with Bigtop 0.4.1 once the HBase 0.94.1 gets releases on its own
> schedule?

Of course if that is the timeline you'd prefer Roman. Otherwise it
looks like ~2 weeks, but that would be up to Lars, so this is only an
estimate.

Best regards,

   - Andy

Hein (via Tom White)

Re: [VOTE] Release Bigtop version 0.4.0 RC1

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Anatoli Fomenko <af...@yahoo.com>.
I vote for option 2:

* wait for the 0.94.1 release

Anatoli

Thanks to Bruno's participation in today's installfest we've
uncovered a pretty nasty issue with Hadoop 2.0.0 and
HBase 0.94. Good news is that they both seem to be
taken care of by Andrew Purtell:

The bad news is that we can't really release Bigtop 0.4.0
with HBase 0.94.

From where I sit the choices are:

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
I'd go with 0.94.1

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
HBase devs,

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
I'd go with 0.94.1

Posted by Anatoli Fomenko <af...@yahoo.com>.
I vote for option 2:

* wait for the 0.94.1 release

Anatoli

Thanks to Bruno's participation in today's installfest we've
uncovered a pretty nasty issue with Hadoop 2.0.0 and
HBase 0.94. Good news is that they both seem to be
taken care of by Andrew Purtell:

The bad news is that we can't really release Bigtop 0.4.0
with HBase 0.94.

From where I sit the choices are:

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.